Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife, who loves radlers, but not a beer fan. Said yesterday that the radler tastes best over ice.
:shakes head:

Drinking radlers is OK, borderline, but OK.
But over ice!!!

After I stopped laughing, I told her "That's going on the internet"

My father, who is German (though from Cologne), makes his 'radlers' with Tecate and Fresca over ice. My mother is also German (but from southern Bavaria) makes fun of him all the time.

In fact, I have never found a good soda to mix to make a Radler in the states. The lemon soda that they normally use in Germany is not as sweet and more acidic than Sprite or 7-Up.

To keep the others from also googling, radler is a German drink similar to a shandy. Mix of beer and another non alcoholic drink, usually citrus soda, lemonade, or cola.

Except that beer and cola is called a "diesel" in Germany. At least it was back when I lived there several years ago.

To keep the others from also googling, radler is a German drink similar to a shandy. Mix of beer and another non alcoholic drink, usually citrus soda, lemonade, or cola.

Sorry, should have explained that. They are common in the alpine regions and Bavaria in general.

My father's side is from upper Bavaria,I guess they make those as well? I found it interesting that even regular Germans have trouble understanding Bavarian.:drunk:

My father's side is from upper Bavaria,I guess they make those as well? I found it interesting that even regular Germans have trouble understanding Bavarian.:drunk:

I'm not sure, and that depends. Upper Bavaria as in Franconia or Oberbayern? Franconia I don't think they do it much if at all, but Oberbayern they do (although ober means upper, it's actually the southernmost part). (Upper Bavaria vs upper Bavaria)

You think Bavarian is weird? Try listening to Swiss German, it's crazy. My mother is from a small area called Allgäu, and their dialect is like a harsher version of Bavarian. She normally speaks standard German, but when she's home or talking to family she slips right back into it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm not sure, and that depends. Upper Bavaria as in Franconia or Oberbayern? Franconia I don't think they do it much if at all, but Oberbayern they do (although ober means upper, it's actually the southernmost part). (Upper Bavaria vs upper Bavaria)

You think Bavarian is weird? Try listening to Swiss German, it's crazy. My mother is from a small area called Allgäu, and their dialect is like a harsher version of Bavarian. She normally speaks standard German, but when she's home or talking to family she slips right back into it.

I know I saw plenty of radlers in Franconia. Both the citrus soda and cola types. The cola ones may or may not have been called diesel but I doubt that since I didn't see that on any menus. Never bothered ordering one with all the fantastic dunkel biers around.

I want really sure. Whenever I'm in Franconia (Nuremberg), i usually stick to the beer my uncle buys and smoked beers.

I want really sure. Whenever I'm in Franconia (Nuremberg), i usually stick to the beer my uncle buys and smoked beers.

Either way, next time you're in Nuremberg, don't leave without going to Sanders steakhouse to have a porterhouse and a König Ludwig Dunkel.

For sure they drink lots of radler in Franconia. My Frau is from Bamberg and drinks it all the time.

Franconian is next to impossible. I've got a little translation book German-Franconian. It doesn't make sense, even to Franconians. But if you ask a Bamberger, they speak real German, and the rest of Germany speaks that nasty Hochdeutsch! My theory is Franconian developed out of standard German with a mouth full of sausage and beer.

My father, who is German (though from Cologne), makes his 'radlers' with Tecate and Fresca over ice. My mother is also German (but from southern Bavaria) makes fun of him all the time.

In fact, I have never found a good soda to mix to make a Radler in the states. The lemon soda that they normally use in Germany is not as sweet and more acidic than Sprite or 7-Up.

Yeah, it's almost like a carbonated lemonade. Maybe equal parts lemonade and club soda would work?

I don't see too many authentic German radlers for sale in the states, but Stiegl (Austrian) grapefruit radler is showing up in more and more stores, and is very good.

At the beer distributor this weekend, buying a case of Victory Hop Devil. A moderately drunk but very friendly guy buying a keg of Mossehead......

Him- "How can you drink that stuff, its so bitter"
Me- "I love it"
Him-"I gotta say you gotta be a real man to enjoy drinking that"
Me-"My wife loves it"
Him-<embarrassed smile>

The other people in line thought it was pretty funny

Either way, next time you're in Nuremberg, don't leave without going to Sanders steakhouse to have a porterhouse and a König Ludwig Dunkel.

One of my favorite times there was having a Schlenkerla with a Schaeufele at a place right next to Durer's home (Zur Schranke). Aw man was that good, even though the table was horribly slanted.

My uncle swears by Doktorshof as the best Schaeufele (pork shoulder, oh so friggin delicious), but I think Zur Schranke was just as good.

I will probably end up going back in the next year or two because my grandmother who now lives there is almost 95, so want to make sure I see her once more.

For sure they drink lots of radler in Franconia. My Frau is from Bamberg and drinks it all the time.

Franconian is next to impossible. I've got a little translation book German-Franconian. It doesn't make sense, even to Franconians. But if you ask a Bamberger, they speak real German, and the rest of Germany speaks that nasty Hochdeutsch! My theory is Franconian developed out of standard German with a mouth full of sausage and beer.

I wasn't sure because I normally only spend maybe 2-3 days at my uncle's there, then spend a week in southern Bavaria (Munich, Neu Ulm, etc), where Radler are everywhere.

I actually don't have much trouble with Franconian, Allgaeurisch I think is more difficult. They do something similar as Franconian where they have different genders for nouns than Hochdeutsch, but they also chop up the words like crazy. Fun fact: Hochdeutsch is 'artificial', no region actually speaks it. Everyone has their own crazy dialect and thinks they are right. But the Swiss are wrong, oh so damned wrong.

Recently heard from one of those "Know it all" rednecks that you can tell a good beer by how many IBUs (pronounced 'ee-boos') it has. He then asked me what kinds of beer I like in which I just told him PBR because it wasn't worth my time.

Recently heard from one of those "Know it all" rednecks that you can tell a good beer by how many IBUs (pronounced 'ee-boos') it has. He then asked me what kinds of beer I like in which I just told him PBR because it wasn't worth my time.

Well, actually...

Ah, hell, I got nothin'...

My uncle always drinks PBR when he is out fishing but can't stand the stuff once he is back on shore. It's not his only quirk...

Just heard from an LHBS guy talking to a couple new brewers "Don't ever leave your beer in the primary for more than a week or ten days; always use a secondary. And stay away from the internet." sigh.

Just heard from an LHBS guy talking to a couple new brewers "Don't ever leave your beer in the primary for more than a week or ten days; always use a secondary. And stay away from the internet." sigh.

That is the best bit!
And if you miss the 1 week do you have to sit tight through day 8 & 9 :confused:

It was a rare dud from the guys and gals at my LHBS, who always have solid advice for me and for the noobs.

But it was a pretty freakin' big dud.:drunk:

I live in KY, pretty much redneck heaven, and I've never met a single person who knows what an IBU is!

Well, can you blame him? If his customers started actually reading, they wouldn't need his <bad> advice!!!

I wasn't sure because I normally only spend maybe 2-3 days at my uncle's there, then spend a week in southern Bavaria (Munich, Neu Ulm, etc), where Radler are everywhere.
Neu-Ulm is my hometown! Should you find yourself in that area again, visit Genuss-Pur in Reutti, they have a nice 200L brewery.

My wife, who loves radlers, but not a beer fan. Said yesterday that the radler tastes best over ice.
:shakes head:

Drinking radlers is OK, borderline, but OK.
But over ice!!!

After I stopped laughing, I told her "That's going on the internet"
Nothing wrong with Radler. The best breweries in Bavaria have Radler on their menus (try Augustiner as Radler). I also drink my homebrew as Radler occasionally. Nothing better on a hot summer day.

Now, non-alcoholic Radler made with artificial sweeteners sold as sports drinks ("it's got electrolytes!"), that's not beer any more.

We're doing our annual family get together/Christmas and most of the family went out to dinner at Sprechers in lake geneva. We grabbed a few tables in the bar and were having a few pre-dinner brews and as the bartender is going around for drink orders she gets to my cousin:
Cousin: I'll start with a water please.
Bartender: So, a bud light?

She got a great tip.

My buddy just tried my bock. And said that wasn't bad I was expecting a bunch of hops and ipas to jump out at me. Granted he knows nothing about beer but I still found it funny

amfukuda said:
My buddy just tried my bock. And said that wasn't bad I was expecting a bunch of hops and ipas to jump out at me. Granted he knows nothing about beer but I still found it funny

Mmmmm this lager tastes like it has a lot of IPAs in it. Are you sure you did it right? Lol

Funny thing... I feel like I'm going crazy because I'm trying to keep the TV down to let SWMBO sleep, but I have a carboy in the hallway closet (normally don't, but need a dark cool place to keep it and all others are full) and the bubbles are driving me crazy!!!

Is that funny enough?

At the beer distributor this weekend, buying a case of Victory Hop Devil. A moderately drunk but very friendly guy buying a keg of Mossehead......

Him- "How can you drink that stuff, its so bitter"
Me- "I love it"
Him-"I gotta say you gotta be a real man to enjoy drinking that"
Me-"My wife loves it"
Him-<embarrassed smile>

The other people in line thought it was pretty funny

I think he was smiling because he was trying to imagine which one of you gets to be on top. :D

Mmmmm this lager tastes like it has a lot of IPAs in it. Are you sure you did it right? Lol

I usually just put one IPA in my lager :tank:

Sidenote: I have a family member who used to think AIDS was the plural form of a disease called AID.

Had another one last night. A buddy was over looking at my basement (he's going to help me finish the remodel), and after giving him a 4-pack of the cider I just finished, pulled out a bottle of a bavarian hefe I had brewed a year ago. Something had gone horribly, horribly wrong with it and it is flat out undrinkable - but I haven't dumped it yet, thinking *maybe* it'll age out and get better. (Aside: no luck yet. Think it's time to dump it...)

Cracked the bottle to check it and offered him a sample. (The fact that he was able to swipe a finger through the foam slowly building out of the top of the bottle probably isn't a good sign for the beer). His comment?

"Did you make this with barley or hops?" - as if it's an either/or question. I just smiled. In his defense, he's JUST starting to branch out past Budweiser.

Last night my neighbor and I were discussing the difference between nursing and savoring beer because I told him a BMC drinker (also a frat BRO) once accused me of nursing an imperial stout- as if one pint of impy isn't worth ten bud lights! He laughed and said you could nurse a BMC because as soon as it warms up about two degrees it starts to taste pretty undrinkable. Savoring is when it still tastes good. His wording contained a few colorful euphemisms.

I admit I have nursed BMC at family parties where that is the only available beer in order to prevent my family members from trying to feed them to me all night. Some of my in laws kind of see all malt beers as some sort of froofy gimmick. As though flavorful, assertive beers aren't very masculine.

...Some of my in laws kind of see all malt beers as some sort of froofy gimmick...

At least they know that BMC isn't all malt - I tried to tell someone drinking a Budweiser that it also had rice in it, he wouldn't believe me so I told him to read the label on his bottle to me... he was surpised to say the least :D

pulled out a bottle of a bavarian hefe I had brewed a year ago. Something had gone horribly, horribly wrong with it and it is flat out undrinkable ...
Cracked the bottle to check it and offered him a sample...
In his defense, he's JUST starting to branch out past Budweiser.

Yeah, that'll motivate him away from the crap.. Haha

Some of my in laws kind of see all malt beers as some sort of froofy gimmick. As though flavorful, assertive beers aren't very masculine.

That's my uncle. He lives within walking distance of the Sierra Nevada brewery and drinks Budweiser exclusively because beer isn't supposed to be about enjoyment, it's an alcohol delivery method, nothing more or less.

Why Budweiser specifically? Ya gotta buy Amurrican! None of these froofy imports like Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, or New Belgium!

Latest posts

Back