Holy Hophead, Batman! What an IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperkeith

Reaction score
Just bottled my first real IPA, a Harpoon clone, and when I tasted the last little bit left in the bucket... IT'S GREAT! :ban:

I'll post the recipe (extract/sp. grains) if anyone's interested.

:mug:

man...those first few bottles of an IPA when it's carb'd but still a little green...wozers! jam packed with hoppy goodness.

Yeah, a friend and I brewed a heavily hopped 3 gal. AG batch a few weeks back (we've been busy, it's still in primary - *gaah*) and we tasted what the hydrometer floated in, and even with the unfermented sugars it tasted hoppy! And we are dryhopping in the secondary as well.

This stuff will peel paint I think - sweet.

kvh

Sorry for the delay, just suddenly got busy.

Harpoon IPA clone

Yield: 5 gallons; Original gravity: 1.061-1.063; Final gravity: 1.014-1.016; IBU: 49; SRM: 13; 6% ABV

Crush and steep in 1 gallon (3.8L) 150º F (65.5ºC) water for 20 minutes:
8 oz 60L US crystal malt
4 oz. toasted 2-row pale malt
1 oz. roasted barley

Strain the grain water into your brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon water at 150ºF. Add water to the brew pot for 1.5 gallons total volume. Bring the water to a boil, remove the pot from the stove, and add:
4 lbs. Alexander's pale malt syrup
4 libs. M&F Light DME
2 oz. Clusters @ 6.5% AA (13 HBU) (bittering hops)

Add water until total voluime in the brew pot is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes, then add:
1/2 oz. Fuggles (flavor hops)
1/2 oz. Cascade (flavor hops)
1 tsp. Irish moss

Boil for 14 minutes, then add:
1/2 oz. Fuggles (aroma hops)
1/2 oz. Cascade (aroma hops)

Boil for 1 minute, remove pot from the stove, and cool the wort. Strain the cooled wort into primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 gallons. When the wort temperature is under 80ºF, pitch your yeast:
1st choice: Wyeast 1098 British ale yeast
(ferment at 68-72ºF)
2nd choice: Wyeast 1084 Irish ale yeast
(ferment at 68-72ºF)

Ferment in the primary 4-5 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the 2ndary fermenter, and add 1 oz. Cascade hops (I used whole leaf). Bottle when fermentation is complete with:
1 1/4 cup M&F Extra-light DME

As I said previously, this was my first real IPA, and it's amazingly close to Harpoon!

Great- thanks! Now, could you post it again in the recipe database section, too? :D Then it'll be easier to find, and it'll be under your name in the "recipe" drop down in your post.

Thank you for the recipe. It looks great!

I believe that recipe is out of Beer Captured... let me check...

No I'm wrong!...

...Clone Brews, page 150

That recipe had Szamatulski written all over it. :D

Latest posts

Back