Power cord help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I ordered the EKC from High Gravity because I am not very good with wiring stuff up...
It comes ready for 240v but has an American style dryer cord for the power supply see below

Cord.jpg

this as you may know will not work with my European 240v plugs. I currently have a 30amp breaker box wired up for a heat stick that works well, below is the box

Breaker.jpg

Here is the inside of the EKC ( Electric Kettle Controller)

EKC.jpg

Now from my very limited understanding, I have 2 "hots" and a ground going into my breaker, from looking at the dryer cord the 2 "blade" style prongs should be "hot" and the "bent" prong should be the ground. That translates into the 2 outside leads being "hot" with the center being the ground.

So, in theory, I should be able to do a 1 for 1 swap with the wires coming out of the breaker box correct. 1 hot to the on/off switch, one hot and a ground to the plug.

Am I even close?

thanks

Tim

The middle wire should be the ground, but verify that with a continuity, Also, power here is cycled at 60 Hz, whereas it is 50 Hz where you are.

It means in some applications it won't work without a transformer. In this situation you would be best advised to contact High Gravity and ask them, as it is what they sold you. I think in some situations it will potentially destroy your equipment, be unsafe or be totally benign.

Still looking for help on this.

The fan installed in the box says it is good for 50/60Hz

T

Still looking for help on this.

The fan installed in the box says it is good for 50/60Hz

T

Then you should be ok.

It's basically the frequency of the electricity. Like most things, North America has a different standard than the rest of the world.

Back