What's the benefit to cold conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting a freezer, so I need to fiqure out how to best use it. I know I can use it to do lagers. Which I want to start sometime. I want to start brewing more and thought I can use it for cold conditioning, especially in the summer where my house gets pretty hot and don't want to leave full kegs hanging around.

Right now, I primary ferment for 2 to 3 weeks then keg. No secondary. I carb for a week or so in my kegerator, then serve. I have a two tap system, so I run out of room fast. Is there a benefit or a drawback to cold conditioning? Is there a proper temp?

Only benefits. It will help clarify the beer by dropping out yeast and chill haze, and it will also help smooth out the flavor.

-Steve

38 is where I leave mine set at. Don't have any idea if it's right or wrong but it seems to work. It's also the temp I cold crash at.

Latest posts

Back