foamy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodspointbrewer

Reaction score
Hey-
I just tried my first kegged beer, and it's way too foamy! It tastes great, but it shoots out the tap with a vengence! I force carbed at 20-25 psi for about 3 days. I drained the keg of air, then served it at 10 psi. My first pouring was still really foamy. Is this normal? Please help!

a few questions first. how long are your lines? what type of faucet are you using? if they are picnic faucets, make sure you press the lever all the way down. otherwise, it will just foam.

you may have overcarbed it in which case you'll need to take it off gas and keep purging it for a few days. once it isn't releasing any co2 after a few hours, try to set it at serving pressure again. i overcarbed my kolsch about 1.5 weeks ago and i'm still fighting with it. you can also try setting your psi down really low and seeing if you can get a decent pour.

thanks- I'm using 10 foot of hose, and I have kegerator taps...comming out of a fridge. How long does it take to purge the CO2 out so that you can drink it? I don't think I over-carbed because after the foam was gone, the beer wasn't overly carbonated. Thanks-

Another tip which helped me, make sure your lines aren't all over the place. Make them in a neat coil if possible. I was told something about too many huge dips and rises messes with the serving PSI. I didn't believe it but tried it and it worked for me.

Back