Quick Temp. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
i have a wheat beer thats been sitting in the primary for 2 weeks. It's done fermenting so how much does temperature really matter. It been getting into the high 70's for the last few days. I'm gonna be crashing then kegging in the next couple of days.

the temperature during the first part of fermentation is the most important. But if it was still fermenting at all, be prepared for some banana!

:ban:

what temp was it at during initial fermentation?

That might have a pretty estery character with that high of a temp. If you like banana flavor, it'll be good, if not, then feel free to send me the beer, heh.

Depending on the yeast, the higher temperatures might not make much of a difference, though. This is especially true if you have a strain that leans toward the phenol production more so than the ester production end.

IMHO the esters from higher temps work for a wheat beer as long as they aren't overpowering. I like a little fruity flavor in a Heff, but a banana smoothie is out of the question. To answer the OP's question (again) temperature during the initial fermentation is the most important. If it has been a couple weeks and your just clarifying, you should be fine.

Don't mean to jack someones thread but, Same for me...I am doing an IPA...68-72 first week then In a glass Carboy 3 weeks the recipe said. but it's hotter in Texas now, looks like it is going to spend most of it's time at about 73-75..any thoughts?

sounds like you need a way to cool your brew during initial fermentation. look into water baths or the son-of-fermentation chiller.

oh, and welcome to the forums :mug:

It's always colder on the floor. My carboys tend to be 2-4 degrees cooler than the thermostat reading. Is your temp a thermometer reading or thermostat? Either way, many ale yeasts are pretty tolerant.

Latest posts

Back