Which bulk hop would you want?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really wanting to make a Bells Two Hearted Clone, but just don't have the Centennial hops and they are sold out everywhere. If I could get a pound of Centennial I would be a happy camper. ;)

I dunno, tough to call... I've not used Perle yet and I have just enough for 1 batch.... so if I like it, I will wind up wanting more....... They call it minty, which appeals to me, I love anything minty.

Otherwise, Strisselspalt sounds like a fun hop to use - currant is a good flavor. Are Pacific Gem widely available? After hearing the fun things a couple of you guys have done with them, I think I want to try them out. And there's always good bittering hops like Magnum or Warrior that are pretty hit-or-miss at the moment.

NB has more hops "unavailable" than for sale, so it's really hard to narrow down only one that I wish I had.

Hard to say. I like American hop bomb IPAs so Centennial and Cascades work well there but I also like English Ales and Stouts which usually call for EKG or Fuggles.
Ofcourse I am a relative newbie so I am still experimenting with different hops and recipes. I usually order several oz each of 8-10 varieties when I order from FreshHops. Maybe when/if I find my favorites I will order by the pound from HopsDirect (I will need to get a better way to measure hops before then.

Craig

Evets said:
I've been going through a lot of Styrian Goldings lately.

My LHBS owner told me that Styrian Goldings wasn't going to be grown after 2007. I was freaked out by this, since Orfy's Hobgoblin calls for it.

I e-mailed a few different Hop suppliers and the answer was pretty much the same, and I am quoting Puterbaugh Farms here:

"Slovenia, where Styrian Goldings are grown, has had a very challenging
growing season. Nearly the entire crop was destroyed due to weather-related
incidents. This variety is still being grown, there is just not a lot
available."

If you like it, I'd suggest picking some up where you can. :)

Soulive said:
Which hop would you want large quantities of, on hand?

Cascade and Fuggles.

Fuggles, Hallertau, Columbus in that order.

To a large degree it depends on what realm you like to brew. Balanced and Malty I'd swing to the low AA hops. Hoppy, you obviously want the high AA.

Kevin Dean said:
My LHBS owner told me that Styrian Goldings wasn't going to be grown after 2007. I was freaked out by this, since Orfy's Hobgoblin calls for it.

I e-mailed a few different Hop suppliers and the answer was pretty much the same, and I am quoting Puterbaugh Farms here:

"Slovenia, where Styrian Goldings are grown, has had a very challenging
growing season. Nearly the entire crop was destroyed due to weather-related
incidents. This variety is still being grown, there is just not a lot
available."

If you like it, I'd suggest picking some up where you can. :)

Cascade and Fuggles.

Yeah I've heard that about the SG. I think I can get 4 or 5 oz. today if I want. Maybe I better. I think I will.

I like Northern Brewer, Fuggle or EKG in a lot of brews but I'd def go with Cascade if you have to pick just one. If you get something other than Cascade, I'd trade you 8 oz of Cascade leaf for 8 oz of something else...

Bobby_M said:
I like Northern Brewer, Fuggle or EKG in a lot of brews but I'd def go with Cascade if you have to pick just one. If you get something other than Cascade, I'd trade you 8 oz of Cascade leaf for 8 oz of something else...

Any interest in Magnum? I have 24oz of it...

Really tough call for me. I guess it would have to be EKG for me. I love bitters and ESB's and, IMO, a bitter is just not a bitter without EKG.

However, if I could get my hands on EKG, Columbus and Mt. Hood, then I would be good to go for anything.

Magnum leaf? I'll go for a 8oz trade for cascade or you can take half and half Cascade leaf and Centennial pellets. Either way. Gives me another excuse to play with my drug dealer half-gram-accurate scale.

Soulive said:
I might just go with Cascade. If I could get Centennial from Hops Direct, I would...

According to their website Centennial is in limited quantities but still available in leaf form. If you're hoping for pellets though that's where you'll find them sold out. Was thinking about getting a pound of Amariilo, Centennial, Fuggles, and Vanguard while still available. I've been hearing good things about Vanguard as a sub for Hallertau, so hopefully there will be some exciting and different brews soon.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/hops/leafhops.html

Jekster said:
I'm really wanting to make a Bells Two Hearted Clone, but just don't have the Centennial hops and they are sold out everywhere. If I could get a pound of Centennial I would be a happy camper. ;)

I just ordered a pound of Centennial leaf hops from hopsdirect. I don't see pellets around anywhere other than morebeer.com. I ordered 4 ozs. from them and it cost me $9. May as well just get the lb. at around $23 and be done with it. I use Centennial in my house IPA and its also used in the Alpha King Clone that I plan on making fairly regularly.

Do you have to make adjustments if you're using whole leaf hops vs pellets? I've only used whole leaf for dryhopping, not flavor/bittering...

Yeah, you get about 10% less utilization from whole hops.

Rough numbers, if you're using 1.0 oz pellets you'll need about 1.1 oz whole to get the approximate IBU's. If using 1.5 oz pellets you'll need about 1.65 oz whole etc.

EDIT: Beaten by two minutes

Back