Getting a Local Bar to Sell/Release Your Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukwas_brew

Reaction score
My buddy and I have been brewing for about 2 years now and we have been having seasonal keg releases since last year. They've been getting bigger and bigger and many of our friends keep saying we should look into getting a keg or two into a local bar to sell/release to get our name out there. I wanted to know if anyone in Maryland has looked into this and what the stipulations were for doing it. I have no clue besides maybe having to procure a brewer license. PLEASE let me know if anyone has explored this. We have people provide donations at these keg releases so we can brew for the next ones so we don't make any profit. Also, we buy 100% legally so all our stuff is taxed.

Lastly, anyone think business cards for advertising is a bad idea? Just a general thought. THANKS ALL!!:ban:

You are gonna have to go the whole way. Ttb approval business license, production brewery license etc.

There is no just selling your homebrew keg

Search "going pro", you'll get your answers there. A lot of work and red tape invloved in selling your homebrew.

Yeah that's what I figured. Business plans and permits and all. I would love to get a taphouse or some local bar to put a small keg of our homebrew on tap, first come first served. Any resources you all recommend? I appreciate the help!

As a resident of MD, it probably isn't worth it. The profit from just doing a couple of kegs a week or month wouldn't cover the fees and licensing, let alone the ingredients (and your spent time). Maryland is rather draconian when it comes to alcohol. So, like was stated above. You either go all the way (full time with investors and employees), or you don't do it at all. There are states with a lot more lax requirements to sell small amounts of beer. Maryland isn't one of them. If you were making wine, then Maryland would probably give you a subsidy....LOL. I've given my beer to bar owners to try. As a friend....not to advertise. They beg me to 'go for it'. That they would certainly have my beers on tap. But they understand the retail part of the bar business. Not so much Maryland's monopoly based distribution system. Good luck with what ever you do. :tank:

Or if you live on a farm, it might work for you. The biggest thing is that everyone wants their cut out of sales of alcohol. The Fed, state and local. The Maryland brewers association has information about the Maryland laws and brewery fees.

Yeah that's what I figured. Business plans and permits and all. I would love to get a taphouse or some local bar to put a small keg of our homebrew on tap, first come first served. Any resources you all recommend? I appreciate the help!

Can't do it legally, even if it's not sold.

Bars are businesses that sell beer made by licensed breweries.

Have a big party at someone's house instead

I understand that there is no just "here's my brew, sell it/give it out" I would like to know what it would take to get there though. Like starting a small business to sell our beer in small amounts. Say like a catering thing where we provide custom brews. What would it take to get into that license wise? I'm assuming a brewing license and some type of FDA license? Please leave the "don't do it"s at the door cause I want to pursue something like this. Enlighten me! :rockin:

Brew strong on the brewing network did about a thousand show series on this call "going pro". Check that out.

Okay sweet, I've been listening to them for the past like 5 hours on and off at work. Good stuff and thanks a lot! Gives me a good basis for the processes involved.

Any resources you all recommend? I appreciate the help!

http://www.ttb.gov/beer/beer-regs.shtml

http://www.ttb.gov/industry-startup/beer/beer-startup.shtml

Note, this isn't a casual thing.

You need a permitted, commercial place to brew. You can't brew out of your house. You may be able to brew out of a detached garage. Check with your zoning people in your city/town to see what they'd require.

Then there are costs for the license and bond and all other manner of expenses. Thousands of dollars. Inspections of your brewery by the city, county, state, feds.

... and on and on.

I understand that there is no just "here's my brew, sell it/give it out" I would like to know what it would take to get there though. Like starting a small business to sell our beer in small amounts. Say like a catering thing where we provide custom brews. What would it take to get into that license wise? I'm assuming a brewing license and some type of FDA license? Please leave the "don't do it"s at the door cause I want to pursue something like this. Enlighten me! :rockin:

Federal Brewers Notice
State Brewers License
State self distribution license

For the federal license you need to have a commercial property zoned for manufacturing, cannot be in or attached to a residence. Cannot apply without a signed lease.

You will spend thousands of dollars just on setting up the company and licensing, not to mention rent on a building that you can't even brew in for at least six months while you wait on licensing.

I'm all for people making the leap to a pro brewery, but it's a lot rougher than most think it is.

Back