How to use yeast from the previous batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I'm interested in using my yeast strain from my previous batch. I'm tired of buying yeast every time I want to brew a 5 gal. batch of beer. Can someone help guide me through the steps of this process? Thanks

Well, you can either pitch your beer onto the existing yeast cake or better yet, wash the yeast and store it. Search the wiki and/or the forum for "yeast washing" and I'm sure you will find more info than you thought possible....

I've harvested yeast that I pitched into a batch about a week later with no problem. Of course, yeast washing, proper storage, then starter proofing is the best way. When you rack your beer of primary, you can take some of the yeast out by either swishing the last bit of beer around and then continuing the siphon into a carefully sanitized jar or bottle. You can also get the yeast in suspension by pouring in some sanitary water and doing the same. Refridgerate the yeast to keep it viable. I don't like pitching harvested yeast until I taste the previous beer for contamination.. There's nothing worse than one bad batch except for two.

Back