Why secondary fermentation on a Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
Just wondering why I am seeing the use of a secondary fermentation pail on beers that are supposed to be unfiltered and cloudy (i.e. hefeweizen). What then is the purpose of the secondary fermentation pail?

Most kit directions say to use a secondary all the time. Most people on here, me included, say no secondary is needed unless youre racking on top of fruit or something. Ignore the directions.

Because a lot of people following instructions overuse their secondary fermenters. Some say to use one on everything, even if it goes against the style.

You know what's awesome about this forum? Everytime I come here looking to ask a question, there's somebody who has already asked it and I don't have to start a new thread. Thanks folks for asking and answering this question already.

The fact that there is so much information about home brewing makes it hard to know what is right and what is wrong sometimes...

Back