Keezer with a coffin question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwturnernc

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my keezer with a coffin. I have build collar, placed on base with casters and put coffin and trimmed it out. Today I went to drill holes for shanks and noticed that the rear board on the collar is wet and the front board on the coffin is moist. I used 2 x8 pine, weatherstripping on the freezer base and placed collar, I then placed sure tape along edges to sel it all up. I have not received my temp controller so it's running full tilt on freezer. I note some ice on inside of freezer which suggest some type of air Leak which is allowing condensation to build up, any suggestions on how to seal this thing up before I drill for shanks and stain it.

Have you been opening it a lot? That's probably it. I just keep some Damp-Rid (or equivalent) in mine, but I know some people are using something likethis

Last edited by a moderator:
My recommendation is to turn your freezer off until you get everything finished. As you're already discovering, managing condensation is one of the challenges and if you don't have your collar sealed already you will have a tough time when you go to finish it due to increased moisture content in the wood. You should also consider removing the collar and stain/seal it on all sides before mounting. I used silicone caulk as a sealant between the freezer and the collar and the put a bead around the inside of the collar as a second layer. I think it will provide for a better seal than weatherstripping.

It's a great project...and well worth the effort...

Back