Went to dinner tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
Had 3 beers on tap...

First was Dogfish head aprihop and it was delicious

Second was the restaurants house lager.... tasted like butter

Third was yards IPA... tasted a lil like butter

My question is why the butter taste?

Could it be the lines are bad to those 2 beers? or could it be something went wrong with the house lager and the residual taste was there for the yards ipa... just curious... any thoughts?

I have heard some faults in the beer making can result in a butter taste... its a pretty horrific taste haha

I'm not sold on Yards yet. Their QC seems to be lacking or something. Whether on tap or in the bottle, the beers never taste the same to me. Sometimes "wow, next time..."wtf?"

I had the displeasure of drinking an IPA on tap that tasted like turnip. Or a skunky cabbage. It had been a good IPA when the tap was opened but turned within a day or two. I dunno if it was the lines or an infection waiting to spread, but it was naaasty. I let the beertender smell it and he got me a different beer and pulled and closed that tap till the lines could be purged and cleaned.

Butter is a sure sign of diacytl. Very common in improperly brewed lagers. The IPA either got it from an ale yeast such as ringwood that commonly produces it, or from inadequetely cleaned lines.

I'm not sold on Yards yet. Their QC seems to be lacking or something. Whether on tap or in the bottle, the beers never taste the same to me. Sometimes "wow, next time..."wtf?"

I've had the same experience with TommyKnockers, actually I was telling a beer distributor the same thing tonight at a hog roast.

And to a more limited extent with Bells Amber Ale. In case naysayers want to trash me, I buy at least a 6 pack of it a week at my local place as my Friday routine includes a sausage and mushroom pizza and 2 of Bells Amber. 9 out of 10 times the beer tastes fine, just like the week before, but that 10th time just seems to taste "off". I actually have 2 beers from a "fine" 6er in my fridge to compare the next time I come across an "off" batch

It may just be me, but unless others are confirming that it tastes like butter, it may have been your palate. As you drink or eat, your palate is impacted and can change your perception of certain flavors. Maybe go back to the place today to pull one of those "buttery" beers first up to see if it still tastes like butter.

I agree... I'm leaning towards both batches were bad

I like two of their beers, and they always seem consistent to me...
"Brawler" & "General Washington Porter". In fact, my wife & I really like
Porters, we've probably had at least 20 different varieties. I'd say the
Yards: "General Washington Tavern Porter" (Ales of the Revolution Series)...
ranks among the top of all the Porters we've had. (we've had a lot of Porters)

I've had the same experience with TommyKnockers, actually I was telling a beer distributor the same thing tonight at a hog roast.
Interesting, I just bought a mixed 12 pack and none of them really hit the spot. First time I've had their stuff. A little disappointing, especially since it was over $20 for it.

IMHO the Brawler is their biggest problem. Whether bottle or glass...it's never the same. I've had two bottles from a sixer down in the man fridge for a while....can't bring myself to drink them. They just don't taste right. In a couple months I'll go back and try another sixer. It will taste completely different.

Back