Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That type of nutrient is pretty redundant in an all-grain batch, if you're doing extract is could help as the FAN is lower.

I use yeast energizer wich has bla bla something plus minerals dead yeast hulls vitamins b complex magnesium. With the other, that name urea frightens me a little. They wyeast brewers choice sounds more solid,but im basing that on nothing really,i have no idea what Urea is,it just makes me think of my pee hole and parsites trying to go up it.

i've recently been using white labs version... no doubt my attenuation has increased by 10%... i've done controls, same brews, etc... i don't like tossing in things not named "bacteria" or "hops" after boil so this goes in near flame out and it has definitely made a difference... just had a saison hit 93% aa- i've gotten US05 up to 90...

not sure if that's good or not, but i think you can generate more mouthfeel, balance, etc. with increased attenuation. no off flavors that i can tell either... i won't always use it, but it does the job fo'sho'.

I personally use the wyeast nutrient, I seem to be having lower lag times but I haven't brewed enough batches to confirm it's due to the nutrient. I imagine that the nutrient you posted won't have any adverse effects.

Just for the record Urea is just a nitrogen containing compound that happens to also be in your urine. There is nothing to worry about, urea is used in a wide variety of everyday things you probably don't even think about it's just a good source of nitrogen for certain biological organisms

Back