How much to backsweeten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarekrough

Reaction score
I know most of this comes down to personal tastes, but I'm kind of at a loss after running the search function and reading a bunch of threads on it.

I did a five gallon batch of cider with Nottingham yeast about two weeks ago. I'm seeing that it has mostly cleared. I plan on using tabs to kill off the yeast and racking to a keg so I can carb it up.

I would like to end up with something like Magner's or Cider Jack...something along those lines.

My question is to at least be in the same ballpark as those two what should I be using to backsweeten and how much per gallon? Is there a general guideline for how much I should be using? Should I just use corn sugar or go with molasses?

Thanks for any input or assistance. As I said I searched but am very much at a loss as to where to even start on this!

First I would go down to the store and grab one of the ciders you like. Pop it open pour into your hydrometer test jar and let it sit for an hour or two to let the carbonation dissipate. Take a hydrometer reading. Then go here http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp Scroll to the bottom of the page and use the sugar to a Gallon chart. Rule of thumb is one pound of cane/beet/table sugar in 1 gallon of water(Sg of 1.000) will raise your SG to 1.046 Hope that helps

Back