GFCI cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um, if you DON'T use a GFCI, then your system is neither well thought out nor properly constructed. Period.

I pretty much said this ^^ to a couple electricians I work with today. I was asking them about the bolt-in GFCI breaker I have, and they were telling me I don't need GFCI. They said a properly constructed grounding system (with a normal breaker) is all I need. They are master electricians and the smartest electricians I've known, so I was surprised to hear that from them. I got the breaker, brand new, for $20 from the local used electronics parts store. You can't a get a better deal for something so life-saving!

I haven't been here that long Walker. I only moved here 5 years ago. Sounds like a cool box though.

Earthbound I have heard the same thing from electricians at work too. I work at a power plant so we have nothing but licensed professional electricians. However, they said it wouldn't hurt and $20 for a little extra protection is a cheap price to pay for me anyway.

Oh heck yeah it is. I have been able to get over half my stuff from there. Everything from over 30ft of 10ga wire in every color, all the switches I could ever need, and countless stainless fittings. That doesn't even account for the tools available for use.
:mug:

Wow...

If those electricians don't think a 240V high amp electrical system being operated by hand in extremely close proximity to running water does not merit a GFCI... I wonder where they *do* think a GFCI is needed.

Walker in our world 220v is not that big of a deal. To put things in perspective we generate electricity at about 20 kv and transmit at 220 kv. Our lowest voltage that is used for our equipment is 440v. There are 220v and 110v outlets around for welders and tools. Getting zapped by 220v does hurt though and is the reason I am using a GFCI.

Walker said:
To put things in perspective, 120V will kill you just fine.

And getting zapped by 240V hurts like a sonofabitch once you wake up on the other side of the room.

The volts don't kill you, the current does. And, for the record, those guys are full of it, IMHO. But then I am just a dumb journeyman, so my opinion doesn't count.

The volts don't kill you, the current does. And, for the record, those guys are full of it, IMHO. But then I am just a dumb journeyman, so my opinion doesn't count.

Bernie... don't come waltzing in here making sense and all that stuff. This is no place for it. :D

Please don't misunderstand, I am all about including a GFCI. Just trying to help others understand the view of the electricians that Earthbound spoke about. I personally don't wish to be bit by 120v or 240v. Hurts either way.

Back