Fermentation & Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko1983

Reaction score
Hi, I've brewed a few times with a friend but more recently decided to do a couple of my own all-grain batches. I used Irish moss for the first time and put a couple tbsp's instead of 1 tsp. The foam (k-word?) looks pretty odd and there is quite a bit of sediment (wort was poured through a funnel with a filter too). Could this be due to the amount of Irish Moss used? Or could it just be a different yeast than I'm used to? Pictures should be attached.

Upper.jpg

Side.jpg

Close.jpg

Upper Side.jpg

That's how almost all of mine look (maybe not quite that clumpy). I use Wirflock tabs (same as Irish moss). Don't know if that's why though. The K word is Krausen (pronounced Kroy-zen).

That's how almost all of mine look (maybe not quite that clumpy). I use Wirflock tabs (same as Irish moss). Don't know if that's why though. The K word is Krausen (pronounced Kroy-zen).

i'd say you mean whirlfloc. the krausen look has nothing to do with clearing chems. it's the yeast that does it (but i guess the chemicals might affect it a little). .

yes, whirlfloc. It's not really a clearing chemical tho.

"A blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form."

Which, if you didn't get all the break material out during the pouring/siphoning, then it could build up on the krausen, as could trub if the ferment is strong enough.

That is krausen. You are good to go. The whir floc will clear things up after fermentation has finished. Just give it 3-4 weeks and you will have great beer.

Back