Little help with a cider gone...wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
So, Ive made plenty of Ed-worts apple cider before, but last month my housemate got given a "kit" for his birthday,, which included adding a massive 5kg of suger. so he decided to make it up.

It fermented pretty steady for 2 weeks at around 18-22C degrees, finally stopped bubbling away yesterday, so we racked it off to a secondary, were gonna prime some bottles up but during the racking we tasted it...

....it was like apple snaps.

So I took a reading of it with my Alcohol tester, 20% !!

Ive no idea what strange turbo yeast they included with this pack, and how it managed to ferment so much away before dieing off (I presume), but what we want now is the best way to bring this back.

My initial idea was to throw in 3-5 leters of apple juice, a pinch of champagne yeast let it sit 48 hours, then bottle with the normal amount of priming suger.

Any better ideas?

Wow, 5 kg...I've used 7 lbs of table sugar in a batch once. It was quite tasty.

If you're going to bottle it (and not going to carbonate it) you could use some potassium sorbate to retard any further fermentation and add 2-3 cans of frozen apple concentrate to it...don't add any water. This will definitely improve the apple flavor.

If you're kegging you can do the same as above and carbonate with CO2.;)

update:

Just incase you wondered, 175 views and all.

threw in 5 leters of applejuice, repitched some champagne yeast, nadda. Didnt start up again at all, so just took the entire load of slightly backsweetened apple snaps and bottled it.

Still a little on the strong harsh side, but housemate blends it with sprite and drinks it ;)

Back