hand pump for home brew keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen on of these? I am a college student and for Halloween I am going to be a beer keg. I want to either add some pumpkin flavoring to the cider i make or make a pumpkin beer and carry it around in a 5 gallon home brew keg. I figure i can carb with CO2, and then use a hand pump style tap for when im carrying it around.

The problem is I have yet to find a hand pump setup for a home brew keg, anyone know of one?

I've seen them before so I'm sure they exist. Problem is, you have to drink a hand pumped keg right away because it goes flat and oxidizes quickly when pumped with air. I'd consider one of the small CO2 cylinder systems instead for portable serving, it's probably cheaper than a stainless pump anyway and any leftover beer/cider will still be good a few days later.

edit: here is a hand pump system

this is the system I suggested: CO2 charger

If your gonna spend money on a hand pump, you might as well just spend it on a portable co2 charger that usese the small 16g co2 cartridges.

You must be one strong dude to be willing to carry a full 5 gallon corny around with you at a party.

Yeah ive been thinking about this. If the smaller sizes werent so expensive i would do that. Maybe I will just use a couple of the 5 liter mini kegs

I used a Rocket Pump from Ebay. I ran 3/8" ID tubing from the pump to a 3/8" OD copper coil which in turn is connected to 3/8" beer line and then a barbed QD. The copper coil gets covered with ice so the beer coming out is cold even though the keg is warm. On the gas in post just put a gas QD or unscrew the relief valve so air can get in.

I'll snap some photos of the setup and come back here to post them in a bit.

Maybe carb it up , carry it around keep the tank in your trunk or where ever. When it starts to get low hit again with the co2 then carry on as before?

Not to mention it's going to be getting shook-up all night as you walk around. Who takes a personal KEG to a party! haha How will you keep it cold???
If anything, take your keg, with teh portable CO2 setup, and carry a short hose with a picnik tap and ball connect. Then just carry the hose with you. Leave the keg sit. Hok up your Ball lock whenever you need a glass. then disconnect.Nobody can get any out without your tap.

If you get the appropriate harness setup, carrying the ~50lb corny shouldn't be a problem. As to keeping it cold, a keglove would probably be the best bet. And I'll second the small CO2 charger. It'll be much easier than a hand pump. Sounds like a fun costume, given enough time to construct it.

My jukebox costume weighed at least 40lbs last year. It was a lot of fun, but it was hella hot inside there.

For portable kegging I use KegLoves with a paintball tank adapter, regulator, and paintball tank connected to a faucet straight on the post. The manifold and regulator I take from my kegerator so no duplication of parts there.

http://twitpic.com/40d1r
http://twitpic.com/40d9i

The hand pump setup (I call it the ghetto beer engine):

dsc01812.jpg

dsc01813.jpg

Back