substitute for ....everything???!!! honey brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfurlly

Reaction score
I was planning a honey brown ale, sort of just a thrown together recipe.

6lb 2row
1.5lb crystal 80
1lb flaked corn
.5lb honey malt
.15lb black patent malt
.5lb honey
1oz cascade 60min

Now, the place i like to get my malt doesnt carry most of this. So my question....how close, or how good will this be??

1.5lb caramunich 200 instead of crystal 80
.5lb melanoidin instead of honey malt

are these acceptable replacements??? is my recipe acceptabel?? lol

I don't think anything really tastes like honey malt- it's sweet, and not at all like melanoidin malt. I think a sweet crystal malt like crystal 40L would be closer, but not exact.

Caramunich malt is a crystal malt, so you can sub it for a light crystal malt. I'm not sure I'd sub it for Crystal 80L, though. Caramunich is lighter, like crystal 20L. Do they have any other choices?

Do you just want to know those subs, or do you want input on the recipe in general? I don't like the recipe. I'm not a huge black patent fan, but will use it occasionally. But to add flaked corn and honey (ABV boosters, but with no body) and then add all that crystal sweet malt seems strange to me. What are you hoping to do with this beer? What kind of body, flavor, mouthfeel do you want, and what's the hopping schedule? Cascade at 60 minutes only?

Do you just want to know those subs, or do you want input on the recipe in general?

lol both!!! im probably way to green to be making my own recipes, but i wasnt able to find much for honey brown ales? (swimbo pleaser) if you care to comment on both the original recipe and the one with subs....by all means, i need all the help i can get!!

I am getting a honey donation from a friend bee keeper and came up with this recipe.
Any suggestions? Changes?
Looking to get a smooth, malty, medium body, not bitter

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 52.63 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 21.05 %
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Yeast-Ale