Brewing this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyfoot Jr.

Reaction score
This is only the second time in the last 11 months I've had a chance to brew. Oddly enough, my son is 11 months old...hmmmm. :D

I would like to try and do a 10G batch but my MLT is a 5 gallon round cooler with a SS braid. I've heard of other people pulling this off making session beers so I think it's doable but I'm not sure. If I go this route what should I use for a max grain bill? I'm thinking 14-15lbs.

In that same vein, anyone have a good recipe to recommend for something like this?

Here's what I have on hand, all of which I have ample quantities:

2-row
Munich
Chocolate
Black Patent
Roasted Barley
Vienna
Crystal 90L
Cara-pils

I feel like I'm missing a grain but I can't think of what it would be off the top of my head. I'll be using Nottingham and as far as hops are concerned I'll need to buy what I plan to use. I have an ounce or so of Williamette in the freezer that I will use up in addition to what I buy.

I'm leaning towards a nice mild brown ale of some sort, I think the wife and I would both enjoy that. I'm going to try and put together a recipe tonight but I work my second job both tonight and tomorrow so time will be short. Any help you guys can lend would be greatly appreciated.

-Roter

The "can you mash it?" calculator here will help:

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

I wouldn't go with a ratio less than 1.25 and I wouldn't go more than a little over 4 gallons (or you're going to spill over), so they highest in my opinion would be 11 lbs of grain.

Why not do a partial mash? Use 11 lbs of grain and add a few pounds of extract...that will make for a good mild.

Well, I normally mash at less than 1.25 when I do 5G batches. I don't go as low as 1:1 but without Beersmith in front of me I can't say exactly what it is. Checking out various numbers in that calculator it looks like 14lbs. at a 1:1 ratio would be 4.62G which would be tight but I think I can do it. I'll have to think about this.

I don't have any extract on hand but I could pick some up. I'll have to ponder that option as well.

Back