Opinions on Sweet Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albannach

Reaction score
Just starting to get into recipe formulation from scratch and looking for an opinion on this sweet stout recipe. I'd like to use some roasted barley but that would put the SRMs a good bit above 40 and the BJCP guidelines cap sweet stout at 40; how would that go over in a competition/judging situation?

Volume: 5.5 gallons

Grain - lbs - %of bill
----------------------------
Pale ale malt (UK) - 8.5 - 81%
Crystal 80L - 0.6 - 6%
Chocolate malt - 0.41 - 4%
Flaked barley - 0.5 - 5%
Lactose - 0.5 - 5%

Hop - AA% - ounces
-----------------------------
Progress - 8% - 0.9

Brew summary
--------------------------------
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.016
ABV: 5%
IBU: 26
SRM: 40

Mash at 152 degF for 60 min

Yeast: White labs 004 (Wyeast 1084 as backup) - Irish ale yeast

I can't speak as for how it will affect judging for being out of SRM for the style.

However, I use 8 oz. roasted barley in my hazelnut stout and it is delicious. It gives it a little espresso/coffee flavor.

My SRM calculates to 171.

My only suggested change would be upping the IBU. I use a rule of thumb of IBU/OG of 0.7 to 0.6 for sweet stouts. The lower the number, the sweeter. The higher, the more bitter. Yours is 26/54 =0.48.

Of course, I don't know how that change would put you further out of the style guidelines.

I used a pound of Black Patent and no Roasted Barley per Jamil's recipe. I never would have thought to use that much but it turned out delicious.

Might want to mash a little higher, too, to make it less fermentable.

Back