Black Currant wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svengoat

Reaction score
Is there such an animal?? I tried searching the forum but got no hits.. I have a huge 6 year old black currant plant and I use the tons of berries for cooking , but I'd like to try a wine.. At the end of the season they aren't very sweet but have a terrific taste and deep color.. Maybe a mixed fruit wine?

OOps posted in wrong forum... Please move..

I have a book called Successful Winemaking at Home that was written by H.E. Bravery. It is really old, and I ma not sure how the batches will turn out, but he has several recipes that use fresh black currents. Two of the recipes for a port style, one for a claret and one for what he calls a light sweet wine.

Basically they are all made with sugar, black currents, water, yeast energizer and yeast. He varies the amount of black current and sugar, based on how dry the final product should be. I would say you should mock up your own recipe based on the amount of dryness you want in the finished product, and the yeast you plan to use.

I recommend Jack Keller's website to everyone (usually about once a month on this forum). If there's a better website for country winemakers, I've yet to come across it:

BLACK CURRANT TABLE WINE (makes one gallon)

* 1-1/2 lbs fresh black currants
* 3/4 lb black raisins
* 2 lbs ripe bananas
* 1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
* 1 tsp pectic enzyme
* 1 tsp citric acid
* 1/4 tsp tannin
* 1 crushed Campden tablet
* water to make 1 gallon
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* Lalvin RC-212 (Bourgovin) wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil. Meanwhile, slice the bananas crosswise, peeling and all, into 1/2-inch slices. Put bananas, raisins and black currants in pressure cooker. Pour boiling water over fruit and secure lid. Bring to 15 pounds pressure for 3 minutes. Immediately, move pressure cooker under cold running water and reduce pressure to zero. Remove lid and pour onto sugar in primary. Stir to mix sugar and add remaining water (cold) to reduce temperature even more. Stir some more to dissolve sugar thoroughly, cover and set aside to cool to room temperature. Add remaining ingredients except pectic enzyme and yeast, stir well, recover, and wait 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, stir well, recover, and set aside another 12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. When fermentation is vigorous, stir twice daily for three days. Pour through nylon straining bag and allow to drip drain for about an hour; do not squeeze. Pour liquor into secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 30 days into sanitized secondary until wine clears and no further sediments are dropped during a 30-day period. Stabilize and place in refrigerator for three days. Rack into sanitized secondary, sweeten to taste, top up, refit airlock, and store in dark, cool place for 4-6 months. Rack into bottles. This wine will continue improving for up to three years, but may be enjoyed earlier. [Recipe adapted from J.R. Mitchell's Scientific Winemaking -- Made Easy]

Latest posts

Back