That's not a flask. THIS is a flask.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
4L starters FTW.
vicious-smiley-1800.gif

DSC_00461.JPG

Did somebody say big flask?
5L on a big ass stirplate incoming!
DL_starter_and_sugars.jpg

Its from 1983, so its almost as old as I am. Got it for $40 from a science surplus shop, its a beast!
I've got a 1.5" stir bar in there and the vortex goes all the way down. I think I might spring for a 1.25" one so the vortex isn't as deep. What size are you using? It doesn't look like your flask is completely filled either.

Its from 1983, so its almost as old as I am. Got it for $40 from a science surplus shop, its a beast!
I've got a 1.5" stir bar in there and the vortex goes all the way down. I think I might spring for a 1.25" one so the vortex isn't as deep. What size are you using? It doesn't look like your flask is completely filled either.

Do your neighbors lights go dim when you turn that thing on?

I've gotten too lazy. If I were making a 10G batch, I'd just pitch more dry yeast.

damn i think at that point i mines well use the bottom portion of a carboy to ferment the starter- decant, and then syphon on my batch....i mean how much does a 5L flask run anyways?

~$28 from northernbrewer.com
The best price on borosilicate erlenmeyerflasks on the entire internet. I bought two, you can see the other in the back of the pic!

They are bomex brand, but they seem to be just as good quality if not better than the Pyrex flasks I've had in the past.

4L starters FTW.
vicious-smiley-1800.gif

DSC_00461.JPG

Ah, it's good to see that 5L flask on Derrin's stirplate, on his site it says that it holds 1L & 2L but makes no mention of 5L - I was getting a little nervous.

That IS one of Derrin's right?

The best price on borosilicate erlenmeyerflasks on the entire internet. I bought two, you can see the other in the back of the pic!

They are bomex brand, but they seem to be just as good quality if not better than the Pyrex flasks I've had in the past.
+1 - I looked around for a solid 2 hours and Northern Brewer definitely has the lowest price on those.

Also, if you're concerned about Pyrex vs Bomex - read this: http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=316448
They're obviously the foremost authority on borosilicate glass.....(for your @$$)

Here is where I bought mine for $24.95

This thread makes me feel stupid for buying a 1L flask... what was I thinking? :shakes head:

I understand that now when I buy stuff to buy stuff much bigger, better, and badder than what I'm currently set up for. There's always going to be upgrades...

This thread makes me feel stupid for buying a 1L flask... what was I thinking? :shakes head:

I understand that now when I buy stuff to buy stuff much bigger, better, and badder than what I'm currently set up for. There's always going to be upgrades...

Take a look at what 5.5g of 1.1 OG beer needs on Mr Malty. Even with a stir plate you are going to need at least 2.3L.
I saw some 8L, 10L and 15L borosilicate flasks a while back, I wish I could find em. That would be QUITE a yeast slurry once stirplated.

Ya, I bought my 1L first and it SUCKED to make a starter in. So I bought this behemoth:
img13797008968.jpg

...overshadowing the pathetic 1L - there's the same amount of liquid in both.

Back