Not Buying BMC Ever Again... Am I alone in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do as well. Usually keep 4 pounders of it in my ski pack. 2 for me 1 for swmbo and one for the mountain (old superstition don't judge me) is referred to as Gatorade around these parts.

PBR was the trendy hipster beer around here for a bit, bars were charging $3 a piece for them, in certain areas.

I take it home with me too, never had anyone pour it out, I would be kinda pissed...

see why I quit bring my home brews? I ask a jackass, "You gonna drink it or pour it out? It ain't like High Life, it's a *barley wine/IPA/porter/bock*"

"Yeah, bro!"

20 seconds later, it's abandoned. I proceed to ask, "WTF? I thought you had beer balls?"

"Uh... I was expecting something like High Life."

what the flying fence post?!?

I usually offer a taste first, and if they are pounding high life, I wouldn't think they would be a beer aficionado anyway.

I usually offer a taste first, and if they are pounding high life, I wouldn't think they would be a beer aficionado anyway.

oh no, they never want a taste. they're all hard core, yo. either way, no more. they don't have anything I like, I'll go get something I do like.

I've only read about 25-30 threads like this. It would be nice if Tx would make it a requirement that all new members must read "Ambitious Brew" by Maureen Ogle and take a test before joining.
Of all beer sold in 2011, only 5.7% was craft beer. That means 94.3% of the public preferred beer produced by the megabrewers. It has always been that way, and always will be that way because the megabrewers didn't get Mega by ignoring public preference.
So, you don't like BMC? Well, Lah De Dah, you are in the VAST minority of the American public beer drinkers. Maybe that makes you feel like an intellectual snob? Or maybe, just maybe, you are somewhat unusual? BMC is producing what America wants at this period in history. If tastes change, so will they. Do you really think they could not produce an American IPA that would knock the socks off of a die hard hophead? They make what sells, and always will. and make it better and cheaper than could even be imagined.
Don't like what they make? Make your own,and STFU.

I really don't understand the anger about a difference in preference.

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

So your post would be considered trolling.... ? I prefer "off topic".

Wendy's fries are probably the worst in fast food (which isn't saying a whole hell of a lot)

Ever since they started the sea salt natural cut fries they just taste gross

Really? Maybe it's different in Canada, but everyone I know thinks they were inedible UNTIL they came out with the new ones, which are better than most other places.

I hear that drinking great homebrew has the reverse effect. :D
Damn, I may need to quit the hobby. Even the loosest women have described it as "like throwing a 747 down a hallway".

I don't think your post was elitist. Simply stating why you don't like something and would rather spend your money elsewhere is just a statement of preference.

It was more than "simply stating"... he created an entire thread about it. Ever notice how the forum isn't littered with millions of threads that serve no other purpose than simply stating a preference? If there was a good reason for it, it wouldn't sound so EAC.

I feel the same way, with a coupla exceptions. If it's a nitro tap I will drink Guinness. How can you not drink a good Guinness tap?

Can't stand Guinness Draught. I'll drink the **** out of Extra Stout (and FES) though.

Many of us do just that. I don't go out of my way to bash BMC, most of the time. But if I'm someplace and get offered a beer, I ask what the have and if its all BMC, I opt for a soda.

I do the exact same. Every time I go to a restaurant, the conversation goes something like this:

Me: "Do you any craft beer?"

Waiter; "No, sorry." or "We have (insert almost-BMC pale lager or cream ale here)."

Me: "Alright, I'll have a Coke."

I think it is different in Canada, you eat your fries with gravy. In the US we use ketchup.

Ketchup is used like 95% of the time here. Poutine (fries with cheese curds and gravy) is awesome, but in no way is it how Canadians eat their fries. :pipe:

I won't turn it down in mixed company. No need to dump on what people like. I had a Bud American Ale a few years back that was alright. I happen to love the lime-a-ritas. I'll even drink a bud-light under the right circumstances. My in laws know I like good beer, so they try with heineken and stella, etc. I don't have the heart to tell them any different, so I shut my mouth and choke it down. My free time is too dear to spend it pissing off relations and friends.

For me though, I do anything to avoid MOST BMCs, though I feel that they are starting to warm up to the loud minority to at least some degree.

As a sidenote, I don't drink to just get drunk, hell I rarely drink more than 2-3 beers at once. I legitimately enjoy the taste of a good beer. If a beer isn't enjoyable to drink, I don't drink it. It's not about getting or maintaining a buzz, its about enjoying every sip.

:rockin: (All except the 2-3 at once thing)

I tend to bring a 2 six packs to parties now days (A 6 of Breckinridge Vanilla Porter and a 6 of something that I found interesting at the store)

Often though most house parties I go to they at least have Newcastle, Yuengling or something there.

My biggest gripe with the "Would you like a lite, light, light, light or a hienkiin" is that it happens at weddings, company parties, etc.. places where you can't go get your own. That said, was at a wedding reception at a really nice hotel with a great bar in the basement.. during the reception I found my way down there two or three times for a craft stout they had on tap :)

Of all beer sold in 2011, only 5.7% was craft beer. That means 94.3% of the public preferred beer produced by the megabrewers. It has always been that way, and always will be that way because the megabrewers didn't get Mega by ignoring public preference.

I never realized craft beer always had a 5% market share. I thought craft beers have been seeing their market share slowly grow in the past few decades, which would be why the big corporate brewers now make beers that are influenced by Belgian styles and US craftbrewers.

I have to agree.. I remember back in the day (and it wasn't that long ago) a trip to the grocery store for beer only provided the smallest of selection in non Megabrews.. some locals like Yunegling, or Schlitz, a few imports like maybe Newcastle, Corona, Moosehead, etc. etc.. nothing from a real craft brewer.. Now Krogers has two isles, one dedicated to crafts and one to Mega brews and local lagers.

I like my house stout, bold city 1901, and intuition king street stout better than Guinness...

Jacksonville, eh? I usually stop by Brewer's pizza when I am there for my craft beer fix. Since I will be in town next week, I will try to stop by and check out your brew. I do love a good stout

all those chain restaurants do is reheat frozen foods. of course you're not going to get anything other than "meh" from them

that said, this fat man puts a hurtin' on the Ruby Tuesday AYCE salad bar

NYE, we're at the VFW, I forgot to bring some homebrew, but the fridge is STUFFED full of Miller Lite, plus some microbrews. so I figure I'll start out with the Lite, see if the real stuff is there later in the evening.

can't say the Lite tasted bad because it had almost no flavor at all. I had like 4 or 5, then started hitting up the micros. Double Take IPAs. not the best IPA I've ever had, but sure were dang tasty after those Lites.

Jacksonville, eh? I usually stop by Brewer's pizza when I am there for my craft beer fix. Since I will be in town next week, I will try to stop by and check out your brew. I do love a good stout

Awesome, I love brewers. I tend to be more of a regular @ bold city though. I love their specialty stuff (when they have it) and its closer to the house. I have some that I made a bit stronger and let sit on scotch soaked oak chips, would be happy to give you a bottle or 2.

I will always buy beer and most often bush light. Do you have any idea how heavy a backpack full with a case of bottles weighs compared to a case of cans. Not to mention trying to save the bottles and bring them home. And as much as I like the yeast flavor in my beer 60 miles on a sled or 4 wheeler tends to mess up the yeast cake pretty good

Nope I think I will always have a need for canned beer

Awesome, I love brewers. I tend to be more of a regular @ bold city though. I love their specialty stuff (when they have it) and its closer to the house. I have some that I made a bit stronger and let sit on scotch soaked oak chips, would be happy to give you a bottle or 2.

PM sent

Back