My 'motorized' grain mill: a new low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanzela

Reaction score
I was grinding up some grains for a brew I've got planned for the weekend, and I had to take a moment to charge the battery on my drill (happens about once every two pounds). I figured I'd snap some photos and share them with you good folks who are in need of a chuckle.

DSC_0974-1.jpg

The rig:
- One crummy (clean) plastic bucket (5gal)
- One scrap piece of wood (oak hardwood flooring scrap)
- Four screws to hold it onto the bucket lid
- 1 sheet bristol board for 'rugged' hopper extension
- an 18v Craftsman (read: dept. store) cordless drill. I found this guy on the side of the road! One battery didn't work, and the other suffers from a short lifespan, as mentioned above.
- One roll of clear packing tape (good brand)
- Crappy, $23 grain mill. I believe this is meant to grind small quantities of rice. Unlike a Corona-style, with a flat plate bolted on to the front, mine has a burred cone that sits inside of a burred conical hole and is spun by an axle. Also unlike a Corona-style mill, this axle does not have a threaded hole at the end, as the crank-arm is held on by sliding over the axle, and locked into place with a nut (see img)
DSC_0979-1.jpg

As you see, I had a need to be a bit more creative when attaching the drill. In the end, I used good old fashioned packing tape! If I were a better Canadian, it would have been duct all the way, but I went for the packing tape because a) I had a roll, b) it tends to leave less gummy residue than duct tape and c) it's strong.

So, the total cost of this bad mother is about 25$ as I spent $1 on the bristol board to make a hopper, and then the roll of tape and four screws to hold a piece of oak hardwood flooring (scrap thrown out by neighbours) onto the bucket lid.

It's still pretty slow, but worlds faster than hand-cranking (nicer on the arms as well). It was also satisfying to finally find a good use for that Politics in Canada book :D

that setup was the reason i mounted a chopped up bicycle frame to my Conrona, before i found the industrial garage door motor.

*(and the office chair used with the bike;s rear triangle has a beer holder!)

that setup was the reason i mounted a chopped up bicycle frame to my Conrona

I love the bike idea. I'm a regular cyclist (although that word kinda makes me cringe...I'm not a spandex short wearer), and would love to have my mill 'pedal powered'.

Any chance you can share a picture of your surely amazing rig?

As for me, well, this will work for now. It gives a really nice crush and there is something satisfying about knowing how much 'work' actually went into each beer. Makes each one all the more special...

oops, i missed this one....

I think I have a pic somewhere I'll try to find it in backups.

BUT... The guy who was supposed to be managing the last place I worked (at least HE calls himself a manager), had a few beers to mellow out his coke buzz, and drove a raised-up dump truck bed into the garage transom - so i took an industrial door motor home a week later..... bike frame is now dream catcher for spiderwebs .... at least until the power goes out for good.

Back