Flying to Portland, OR today (7-2-08)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
I wish I could say that I'll be having enough free time to visit every pub in town, but this is a family reunion trip, and almost every minute is booked through the 7th. Looks like I might be able to drag my brother and brother in law out on Saturday afternoon for lunch and a pint or two somewhere.

I'm open to suggestions. I'd prefer a place that brews in house, but a good lunch with a decent selection on tap is good too.

I'll be checking back in here from time to time during the week, but I'm not taking my notebook (you're welcome to read my blog to find out how my oldest son ruined the keyboard on my MacBook...), so I'll be at the mercy of my brother's or father's PC schedule.

I'd love to meet up with any HBT'ers, maybe even for a late night pint Thursday or Friday night, but I'm yet to find out exactly when I'll be free.

Thanks,
Matthew

You're choosing a great time to be out here. It's Oregon Craft Brewers Month! Where in the Portland area are you going to be? That may help in suggesting something near by. There trully is a brewpub or nice selection bar on almost every corner.

Here's a link to a calendar of Craft Beer Month activities. They're happening all over the state, but there's a good number of things happening in PDX.

OK, so I didn't get a chance to get online the whole time I was in OR. I was "smitten" with Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I had it both on tap and from the bottle, and compared to the Fat Tire, which I can't even get in NC, the Mirror Pond was far and away my favorite.

Had beers at McMinaminns (Spelling?) Blue Moon Tavern, and wasn't overly impressed with anything on the sampler platter. Their fish and chips was quite good. The IPA and Porter were both pretty tasty, but their Ruby Red raspberry ale was atrocious. The Nebraska Bitter that the rest of the table had a pitcher of wasn't too bad.

Also went to 21st Ave. Bar and Grill, as well as O'Briens on 21st, and I had Deschutes Black Butte Porter and Widmer's Drop Top Amber Ale, both on tap and both were pretty good beers as well. The Drop Top seems to be a pretty big hit with the ladies as well, as about every one of my family members of the female persuasion asked if I had any of it while I was in town. It's pretty light on the hops, with a nice malty flavor. The BB Porter was quite good, and for any fans of Guinness I'd suggest giving this porter a try.

I'm in Sacramento at the moment, and planning on sushi more that brewpubs down here. Looks like it'll be Mono Sushi on Broadway Friday night. My personal old favorite, Kyoto's on J st is long gone, but in the late 80s and through the 90s it was my favorite Japanese place in town. I haven't been to Sacto for about 4 years now, so I'm going to have to find everything all over again in the few days I'm here visiting.

I really have to hit Portland again soon, and next time I need to not have anything scheduled with the family. Just enjoy walking around town and having some good beer. I'm jealous of those of you who call the place home.

You will have to come back again. Sounds like you had a pretty full trip NOT dealing with the great offerings we have here...

Back