Mint Chocolate Stout Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

covered95

Reaction score
I was hoping for some advice on a recipe I was planning on trying for a mint chocolate stout. My hope is to get a rich chocolate stout with a hint of miint, not too much mint flavor, just something to make things crisp. My concern is that I won't have enough chocolate in it. So here is what I have so far

7 lbs light Liquid Malt Extract
1/2 lbs Dry Malt Extract
1 lbs Chocolate malt
1 lbs Crystal 120
1/2 lbs Rolled oats
1 cup cocoa powder

2 oz Cascade hops for 60 minutes

Wyeast Irish Ale 1084

So my plan was to make the above. For the last five minutes of the boil I was planning on adding 1 cup of Ghiradeli's unsweetened cocoa powder. I was also going to add 2oz of mint to secondary.

Am I going to have enough chocolate flavor? mint flavor? A good stout? Thanks for the help and input, you guys rock!

You won't get a chocolate flavour from chocolate malt.
You'll get some chocolate characteristics though like the roastiness and slight bitterness.
Maybe you'll want a sweet stout so use a little lactose.
I'm not sure cascade will be good for it.
Boiling the hops for 60 minutes will give you very little hop flavour or aroma. Is that what you want.

this seems a little more like it.

Icicle Nuts Mint Chocolate Stout
By DA

Just a little winter brew we made up last year.
6 Lbs. Dark Malt Extract 2 Lbs. Light Malt Extract 1 Lbs. Crystal 80L .5 Lbs. Chocolate Malt .5 Lbs. Flaked Oats 1 oz Mint Leaves 4 oz. Bakers Chocolate 1 Oz. Fuggle Hops 1 Oz. Willamette Hops WLP004 Irish Stout Yeast
Do a partial mash at 155 with the grains. Boil the extract, Chocolate, and add half of the mint leaves and save the rest for dry hopping. Try it out and add more mint to taste. I think it could have used more mint. I'll do another batch this winter with allgrain and post that.

not sure about this one though.

Ingredients:

* 1 cup black patent
* 1 cup roasted barley
* 1 cup chocolate
* 1 can Telford Shamrock Stout (4 lb.)
* 3 lb. dark DME (Telford)
* 2 oz. Hershey's unsweetened baking chocolate
* 1/4 cup Hershey's Mint Chocolate Syrup
* 1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa
* 1/4 cup Chocolate Mint coffee (ground)
* 1 oz. Perle (8%) half at boil, half at 30 minutes
* 1 oz. Hersbrucker (1.5%) finishing
* 2 packs Nottingham ale yeast

OK that was a dumb question:eek: i was trying to ask something along the lines of will i get enough chocolate flavor from 1 cup of powder or do i need more, less, just right?

I have often wondered about this "style" and can imagine the miont/chocolate combo in a Sweet Stout or Baltic Porter (easy on the IBUs)
BTW, I recently had the Deschutes Mint Porter and it was over the top Spearmint.
Way too much. I would like to experiment on this though.
Interesting.

A cup of cocoa powder is enough. However, I've found a little vanilla (1/2 oz.) and 8 oz. of lactose really bring the chocolate flavor out. Without the sweetening, the cocoa is just bitterness. The vanilla adds an aroma to contrast with the chocolate.

Yep, 1 cup is good, if you need more, add it at bottling time. Ditch the cascade and use fuggles or kent goldings. 1 addition at 60 minutes is good. Use lactose to sweeten it up. As far as the mint goes. Dunno, never used it. Make sure the cocoa powder is 100% cocoa. All are just suggestions.

.. might consider adding a little roasted barley to reallymake it a stout.

Back