Commerical Hefes.........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
I was wondering if people have had the same problem. I love GERMAN Hefes, not American wheats or whatever you want to call them, they are not the same animal so for this discusion, I am only talking about German Hefes.

Lately, I have found that there is a lot of banana taste to my hefes lately, I am assuming that is how that they are when skunked.

When I saw banana , I am talking about Banana Bread nasty.

Usually banana means you fermented too warm. What yeast are you using and what is your recipe?

**EDIT**
**Nevermind**

I am confused by your english. I think by "my" you mean "commercial". In which case, give some examples. The only good German hefe's I have fuond are from local microbreweries. I ahve yet to find a good bottle of German hefe that is as good as the one I make. Even my extract batches taste better than the watery light junk from the store. let alone the AG stuff I make.

If you don't like banana and clove in your hefeweizen, you don't like German hefeweizen. That's what they're famous for. Many homebrewers try hard to duplicate it.

The banana flavor comes from esters produced early in the fermentation process, usually from a warm fermentation where the yeast is intentionally stressed a little (underpitched). It IS NOT a result of lightstruck/skunked beer - that off flavor is from a reaction between hop compounds and light, and it's very similar to the compound that skunks actually produce, hence the nickname.

What commercial examples are you drinking?

I just picked up a 6 pack of Weinhenstephaner this week. Lots of banana and clove. I think it's a great beer. Seems like people either love or hate hefes.

The classic flavor profile of hefe is the banana/clove. Ferment warmer for more banana, cooler for more of the clove flavor. If you don't like those flavor elements, you really ARE talking more along the lines of an American hefe (which is usually fermented with a clean ale yeast, something like a 1056).

Is there an example that you particularly like?

I bet you I LIKE (I reserve the right to use the word "love" for people only) Hefe Weizen's more than you!! I really like the sweet banana flavor even though I have not eaten a banana since 1976!

I lived in Germany for 9 years and a HW was my staple brew.

I've made 6-9 batches so far this year. I have one in the primary right now and plan on brewing another before the end of the year.

If your Hefe's are too bananic (new word :D ) then you are fermenting at too high a temp. I'd say...above 75F. If you really want to keep the nanner flavor down then you need to try to keep the max temp at or below 70 as best you can. ;)

Prosit!!

P9280478-00.jpg

well although I have made hefes in the past and do not have time to brew right now, I am talking about cases of Spaten/frankinskaner/ Hefe, its like eating a bananas, its awful. I have bought cases upon cases of it and the last few 12 packs I have bought are banana bread.

I have switched back to Paulaner and no problems there, so its not the slight normal taste of banana and cloves, with some bubblegum.

BoxerDog said:
I have switched back to Paulaner and no problems there, so its not the slight normal taste of banana and cloves, with some bubblegum.
Boxer, you're confusing me. Out of all the examples you mentioned, Paulaner tends to have the strongest banana flavor. But...as long as you're enjoying it, I suppose it doesn't matter at all!

MMMMMmmmm, I love hefe's and I try hard to get as much "banana" as I can out of em. Even my hefeweizen dunkels and weizenbocks have as much banana as I can muster out of them. If you don't like the banana flavor, then you should probably try some american wheats or belgian wits... those have a lot less "banana" in them, but still have the wheat profile. The wits have a lot of fruitiness to them, but it's not so much "banana" as it is a citrusy profile.

Yuri_Rage said:
Boxer, you're confusing me. Out of all the examples you mentioned, Paulaner tends to have the strongest banana flavor. But...as long as you're enjoying it, I suppose it doesn't matter at all!

I used to think this as well, but I recently just had a six-pack of Paulner and damn if it didn't have a stronger clove flavor than a nanner flavor.

Different fermentation temps will determine the balance between banana and clove (warmer = more banana, cooler = more clove, IIRC). It's possible that something at the brewery has changed, even if the recipe is identical. It would strike me as unusual, but it's certainly not impossible, for them to be fermenting a bit warmer. Maybe they're trying to save on cooling costs!

I had some of the hefe last night that I abused by leaving it in the primary for so long. I didn't touch it for a long time because it tool forever to carbonate. But now it is really, really good. There is a ton of clove flavor that is coming through, but not any banana really. It also tastes really malty which is not my style really but is growing on me.

EdWort said:
I love German Hefe's, Especially while in Germany!

Hey Ed,

Have you had Ayinger here in the States? How does it compare to in Germany?

I think it is my favorite hefe. The stuff in the bottle is OK, but I had it on tap once, it was FANTASTIC...perfect balance between banana, clove, and bubblegum.

Ayinger on tap is awesome. I've had it both here and Germany on tap and in the bottle. Still tasty in the bottle if fresh though.

Yet again, the banana in my Paulaner is a normal banana taste that most hefes have, what I am talking about is the following taste.

The nastiest Banana candy, banana extract and old banana bread and put into a glass with some hefe and that is what my latest 12 packs of frankinskaner tastes like. Its nasty banana, not good banana.

Ed Wort would you please send me that Paulaner glass!!!!!

I shouldnt complain, I drink my beer out of an octoberfest hackerbrau mug. I believe that someone went to octoberfest and brought it back for him.

The only Commercial hefe I have had and enjoyed is made right here in Texas. Rahr and sons summer wheat. It is great. Im not a big fan of the commercial Hefe's that are made in Germany, may just be what happens to them by the time they get here.

Back