Should I rehydrate Irish Moss before adding it to the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfri44

Reaction score
Well the title pretty much states my question. So is that something I should start doing, and if so why?

Never even heard of doing that, not to say people don't. I have never bothered. I throw in 1/2-1 tsp per 5 gallons with anywhere from 10-15 minutes left in the boil.

I know my jar of Fivestar Super Moss says to rehydrate it in a small amount of cooled wort. I tried using some of the local spring water I was brewing with in one of the Tostidos dip jars I store washed yeast in. It def doesn't mix that easilly. So pre-dissolving it in some cooled wort will def help when it's time to add it to the BK. In the case of the super moss,1/4tsp dissolved in some wort 10 minutes left in the boil. It def helped clear my PM beers nicely. Particularly since I top off with gallons of cold local spring water that's been in the fridge 1-2 days...sometimes more till I get a whole day open to brew PM. The chilled water drops the temp about 10 degrees pretty quick,so the super moss can help more cold break settle out in the fermenter.
Regular irish moss preperations use 1/2tsp 15 minutes from the end of the boil.

That was quick response haha. Thank you for the answer bferullo and union, I have been using irish moss ever since I started all grain brewing but I have never tried rehydrating it before. However from the sounds of it rehydrating it might not make that big of a difference (or any difference at all).

Unless anyone else has other advice I am going to just keep throwing it in dry during the last 15 min of my boil.

Back