Natural Gas Quick Disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
Can't access a proper spot to tap NG with permanent rigid pipe. Have a tee and valve behind the cooking range. My boil pot is right outside the kitchen. What would be an appropriate hose and QD to use in this scenario? I would take the hose off the tee each use, as it has to pass out a door. It can go out the cat door in cold weather. This is my only spot to tap into NG. Frustrated with $$ propane and frozen tanks!

The corrugated yellow stuff does not seem to be the right hose for repeated (dis)assembly. I'd likely need about 25-30' of hose.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I use a 12' QD hose designed for outdoor gas grills and plumbed with black pipe to get it to where I needed it.
I haven't seen anything much longer than that already made, but it would be a good research tool to find what specifications you would need to fabricate one to your length.... after that I'd look at McMaster-Carr to source the components.

g4burner had the best prices on hose when I sourced mine (http://shop.g4burner.com/category.s...C1D68337F53AEFEFC8.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=10) and it includes the quick disconnect. It's all 1/2" and I'm guessing your supply line probably is too if it's for your oven/stove. The 1/2" will work better than 3/8" BBQ hose.

Even though the QD's are designed to stop flow once the hose is disconnected, you need to use a ball valve between the tee and the QD so that you can shut off the gas to that branch after each use.

Ok thanks guys. The g4burner site seems significantly cheaper, but they have basically no info on the products. Can I assume that the QDs on their product are compatible with the ones better described on gashosesandregulators.com?

In terms of flow direction, from male to female or the reverse?

Thanks again....

StMarcos said:
Ok thanks guys. The g4burner site seems significantly cheaper, but they have basically no info on the products. Can I assume that the QDs on their product are compatible with the ones better described on gashosesandregulators.com?

In terms of flow direction, from male to female or the reverse?

Thanks again....

As for compatibility, I believe the QD's are paired...that is I don't believe you can use a male from one manufacturer and a female from another but I could be wrong. The female has the valve that stops the flow when the male is disconnected so the female goes on the supply and the male on the hose. They all use standard fittings so as long as they're the same size, you should be good to go. Does that help?

I use the 25' g4 hose on my setup and it works awesome. Seems to be made very well and will probably last a lifetime if taken care of.

That does help, thanks. I'd still need a separate female for the supply and a male on the burner. I'm supposing that the separate bits from gashosesandregulators could be used for this. g4 doesn't seem to have individual parts....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VLYBDS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I recommended this one to a friend becaus the fittings alone can cost you $50. This has it all for about $100 shipped. If you using a big burner you will need a 1/2 inch supply or better. I have tried to run one of those big burners on 3/8 like bbq run on, and it wouldnt give me a good flame. I bought my 20ft 1/2 inch hose from teja as metioned above and my Connectors from Mcmaster Carr years ago....but the amazon one seems priced good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back