Cold crash a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retsp2

Reaction score
I have a 1500 ml yeast starter in a 2000ml flask. After 36 hours on a stir plate there is still a 3" thick krausen head and it appears to still be growing/ fermenting. (1056 3rd gen yeast).
When can I pull the plug on this starter and cold crash it(like to cold crash for several hours or longer so I can decant spent wort and pitch only the slurry)?
Does one wait till it has completely fermented out or go ahead and cold crash while still fermenting...especially after 36 hours?
Oh...its going in a 1.045 OG amber ale.
Thanks.

It depends on yeast viability and fermentation temperature, but generally 36 hrs is prently of time for yeast to reproduce.
You don't have to wait until it completely ferment, I usually leave it 24-48 hrs and then cold crash it.

36 hours is plenty.

Crash it 2-3 days, decant, let it warm a few hours and you're good to go.

I have a 1500 ml yeast starter in a 2000ml flask. After 36 hours on a stir plate there is still a 3" thick krausen head and it appears to still be growing/ fermenting. (1056 3rd gen yeast).
When can I pull the plug on this starter and cold crash it(like to cold crash for several hours or longer so I can decant spent wort and pitch only the slurry)?
Does one wait till it has completely fermented out or go ahead and cold crash while still fermenting...especially after 36 hours?
Oh...its going in a 1.045 OG amber ale.
Thanks.

I do 24 hours and get very good floc for most yeasts. I did cool the Kolsch yeast for 72 hours and it was still hazy. Just use your best judgement.

Back