Fermenting stopped after two days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilyridd

Reaction score
This is my first time homebrewing so I'm not sure what info you need. I'm using the Brewer's Best Deluxe equipment set as well as their Kölsch ingredient kit.

After 48 hours all signs or fermenting stopped. The airlock was completely still. I took a hydrometer reading and it had gone from 1.140 to 1.010 between very late friday night (early sat morning) and monday night. I was all set to move it to the secondary fermenter but On the advice of a more experienced cousin I added another packet of yeast. It's now been about 36 hours since then and still no action in the airlock. The bucket is sealed and if I press on the lid it does 'burb' in the airlock.

Should I leave it be? Move it to the secondary? Any other clues?

Thanks all!!

Ps- its hanging out is a 66 degree room in the basement.

It seems like you are done, but leaving it in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks is common. Lots of us go right from primary to bottles or keg. Seems like the secondary is elective. good luck, Mike

Are your gravity numbers correct? I ask because I would guess that the original gravity (OG) was 1.040, rather than 1.140. If the final gravity is indeed 1.010, fermentation is likely very close to completion. My advice would be to leave it at 66°F for at least two weeks and then directly bottle or keg (checking to ensure the gravity is not changing, of course).

zeno27 said:
Are your gravity numbers correct? I ask because I would guess that the original gravity (OG) was 1.040, rather than 1.140. If the final gravity is indeed 1.010, fermentation is likely very close to completion. My advice would be to leave it at 66°F for at least two weeks and then directly bottle or keg (checking to ensure the gravity is not changing, of course).

You're right about the numbers. (I can't read my own handwriting!)

How often do you recommend checking the gravity? I have read various things from daily to weekly.

I also suspect that the 1.140 is a misreading or a typo.

What was the temperature of the wort while fermenting? If the temperature was in the high 70s, your fermentation is probably done. High temperatures will make the wort ferment out faster.

You should check for the optimal temperature range of the yeast you are using and keep your fermentation temperature at the low end. High temperatures produce esters and fusels that are not always desired flavors.

You're right about the numbers. (I can't read my own handwriting!)

How often do you recommend checking the gravity? I have read various things from daily to weekly.

I let my beers ferment in primary for three weeks. Then take gravity readings to determine that final gravity has been reached. If I am satisfied. I then bottle.

If I take a final gravity reading, that is at predicted levels. I sometimes only take the one reading.

I dont know why your cousin would advise pitching the 2nd pack of yeast, that didnt do anything but waste a yeast packet. I usually take a grav reading prior to pitching my yeast and then dont take another until bottling if Ive had a good fermentation(no 2ndary), . Reduces the risk for contamination since im not messing with it all the time. After fermentation is finished I usually let it sit a week or so to let the yeast clean up and fall out of suspension.

Skip the secondary, give it another week in the primary. Then pull another sample. If the gravity is stable and it tastes good, bottle it. No need for daily hydro samples.

If there's still a ton of yeast in suspension, give it more time to drop out. Another week or two won't hurt it at all.

The yeast is still doing work with no airlock activity after a couple days most likely. I'd leave in it there for a couple weeks then take a couple gravity readings. If it doesn't change then right on.

Latest posts

Back