Malted Wheat vs. Flaked Wheat in a Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
I was going to post this in the recent thread 'Malted Wheat vs. Flaked Wheat in a Hefe?', but didn't want to hijack.

I have a hefe recipe (very similar to Baron's) using pils and wheat malt, and it came out excellent. I thought I might try a simple grainbill like this for a wit sometime soon. But I noticed that in the latest BYO, Jamil has a wit recipe that uses flaked wheat instead of malted wheat. He states that unmalted wheat is a necessity for a good wit, and that a base of unmalted wheat and pilsener malt is necessary to achieve the soft, slightly sweet, and gently grainy character of the beer.

This suggests to me that there are significant flavour differences between malted and unmalted wheat. Does anyone have some experience about how each contributes differently to the character of a beer with a high proportion of wheat in the grainbill? Is the use of malted vs. unmalted wheat a convention when brewing a hefe vs. a wit? (The recipes I have seen don't seem to confirm this.)

Thanks all.

awww, you could have hijacked my thread, I am interested in the subject, and the more I look around, it seems there are incongruities everywhere and people using mixes of both, or one or the other for wits and hefes. I wonder if Papa P makes mention of this in his books, I can't seem to find either copy I had of the first one though...argh, I shouldn't ever lend stuff out to people.

I didn't find it in Papa P, but I did find something in JP: "Flaked wheat imparts more wheat flavour "sharpness" and a thicker mouthfeel than malted wheat." That seems to contradict Jamil's statement in his article about it being 'softer'. JP does go on to say that it is traditional to use unmalted wheat in Belgian wits, so I guess that partially answers one of my questions.

EDIT: Oops - just noticed I added a 'u' in the word flavor of that JP quote -- Canadian habit. Sorry ollllo! :D

Latest posts

Back