So just had to pitch my yeast into my starter at 100 degrees...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with that. I think it will work ( Maybe) but oh man I bet it will taste funny.

Yes I have tried and gagged the corny beer down LOL

So if that's the case with the starter will that ester flavor carrry over to my batch when I pitch it tomorrow, or will it mellow out when pitched at 68 degrees?

Wrong. Yeast is ultra-happy at that temp.

But they will throw all sorts of esters that might result in fruity beer.

Time will help in the fermenter and leave it bottled for a good long time. Saying that though I never got rid of it but then I drank it fast to get rid of it.

I would rather see a church burn rather than waste a beer so man up and drink it LOL

Disclaimer here. It is a saying I really would not want to see a church burn.

Wrong. Yeast is ultra-happy at that temp.

But they will throw all sorts of esters that might result in fruity beer.[/QUOTE]

Lets hope the 100 is exact doesn't yeast die at 110?

Throw the fermenter outside or in the garage ASAP and and then do what you gotta do.
When you get back monitor the situation,Hope for the best or go to plan 2.

Cheers

Obviously not a good situation but it is a pretty easy fix. If you pitched it at 100 F. put it into a cool water bath while you are gone. You might also get away with just putting it in the fridge. It will take awhile for the starter to get down to 70 degrees. The mistake is pitching at 100 degrees and then just leave.

Would it have better to close up the fermenter and then pitch later when it had naturally cooled? I know it isn't ideal, but you wouldn't risk killing the yeast and/or ending up with off flavors. You would be risking infection, but what risk is more likely to happen?

Maybe I am reading the OP's post wrong but he is saying he pitched into his starter @ 100F, not pitched his starter @ 100F. If you pitch into your starter @ 100F then that is a little warm but not far off of commercial yeast propagation temps. Now if this was a lager strain it likely killed it (90F is the top end for those I believe), but an ale should be OK.

Would it have better to close up the fermenter and then pitch later when it had naturally cooled? I know it isn't ideal, but you wouldn't risk killing the yeast and/or ending up with off flavors. You would be risking infection, but what risk is more likely to happen?

IMO, yes. Just make sure to use good sanitation.

Would it have better to close up the fermenter and then pitch later when it had naturally cooled?

I do this in the summer every time (I did it today!). I chill with pool water, which is now about 80F. So when the wort gets to 80, I toss the fermenters into my chest freezer (which is next to my pool) until they are to pitching temps. It drops quickly.

So I had to pitch my yeast into two starters that were both at 100 degrees. One of them lived and has taken off, the other didn't make it. I've never had to repitch yeast before, but I can just make another starter (correctly this time) and repitch it, right?

If it was just your starter, chill overnight and decant the liquid before you pitch in to your fermenter. It should not transfer off flavors to your beer. If the yeast survived,and since starters are a fairly small volume, the temp was probably down to normal levels by the time it really got going anyway.

Reading this thread is like watching an episode of lost.

Ya there are as far as I can tell three versions of what the OP did. A bit confusing.

1. Pitch a starter into a 100 degree bucket of wort to ferment
2. Throw a 100 degree starter into a bucket of wort
3. Or pitch yeast in to a 100 degree starter.

I think it's #3

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Ya there are as far as I can tell three versions of what the OP did. A bit confusing.

1. Pitch a starter into a 100 degree bucket of wort to ferment
2. Throw a 100 degree starter into a bucket of wort
3. Or pitch yeast in to a 100 degree starter.

I think it's #3

Back