My hops garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thread bumping here if OP is still around.

How did using the flag pole workout? Is that a telescoping pole?

Not sure who you are asking, but it worked great for me and it was telescoping. Only issue I had was wind once the bines got huge. Bent the pole twice and I had to cut its length. Ended up adding guy lines this year and no issues after doing that. Here's my crop (10 gallons, drying so not sure of weight yet):

fs4e9.jpg

So that ended up as about 3 pounds of mixed hops (Columbus, Cascade, Centennial, Mt. Hood, Nugget, Sterling, Willamette). I was on travel and missed the first harvest, as some of the bines (Columbus, Nugget) could have been picked twice. Not bad, none the less. The hops also climbed up a couple of fences, so there was more production because of that. Need to fit in a harvest type ale soon...cheers!

murphyslaw: It really is hard to screw up with hops. As long as the varieties you pick do well at your latitude, you should be fine. I did not attend to mine at all this year and missed the initial picking and still got a nice crop to add to a beer or three. Japanese beetles were horrid this year, but the girls hung on and made lotsa cones! If you want some rhizomes to plant, let me know. I have an easy trick to make as many plants as I want...just let a few extra bines grow, when they get a few feet on them, dig back until you get a few inches of rootlets, cut the bine, plant it...instant hop plant! Cheers!

Back