Chillin' hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you can use a FoodSaver to package the hops and then freeze them. I will also break some of them down into smaller 2oz and 4 oz portions.

Fijidave12 said:
Yeah, you can use a FoodSaver to package the hops and then freeze them. I will also break some of them down into smaller 2oz and 4 oz portions.

What if I don't have a food saver?

I actually have a Rival vacuum sealer...much cheaper than a FoodSaver. I think I got it for $20-30...nothing fancy, just vacuums and seals. I even think Wally World sells them. It's a good investment to make especially if you will be getting hops in bulk so that you can preserve their freshness.

You might be able to use ziploc bags and try to get all the air out, but that would probably be best suited for short term storage.

Fijidave12 said:
I actually have a Rival vacuum sealer...much cheaper than a FoodSaver. I think I got it for $20-30...nothing fancy, just vacuums and seals. I even think Wally World sells them. It's a good investment to make especially if you will be getting hops in bulk so that you can preserve their freshness.

You might be able to use ziploc bags and try to get all the air out, but that would probably be best suited for short term storage.

What would you call short term?

Mason jars work as well. You can flood the jar with Nitrogen or CO2 in lieu of the vacuum sealing.

I just barely cut the o2 bags in the corner. Then I just roll the hops up tight, try to get as much air out as possible. Secure with a rubberband and store in the freezer inside a mason jar. Works well. I've used hops that are 6+ months with great results.

Back