Do I need to dump this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Last night I bottled my "Czech Pils Steam Beer" and when it came out of the carboy into the bottling bucket, SWMBO said "wow, that smells just like Miller Lite!" (her favorite beer). She tasted it and declared that it tasted like it, too.

My question now is, should I consider this a compliment from her, or do I now need to immediately dump this batch?

zoebisch01 said:
Lol. I think in her mind it was a great compliment to you and sweet in its own right.

Aww... how optimistic... still, It would be hard for me to dump any batch unless totally undrinkable. What's your opinion? How do you think it tastes?

It could be a great way to work on non homebrew drinkers.

But on the other hand, who wants to create more people that want to drink your beer?

omniscientomar said:
Aww... how optimistic... still, It would be hard for me to dump any batch unless totally undrinkable. What's your opinion? How do you think it tastes?

To be honest, it tasted fine to me. Nothing like Lite, actually.

The surprising thing to me was that I managed to make an extract batch that is the color of BMC. I need to get that recipe back out and see what is in it.

Lesse--- you made pilsner. And when it was green it tasted like an industrial pilsner.

I don't see the problem.

Besides, you can always feed it to your buddies who think all homebrew is dark and heavy.

Worst case you have what a former neighbor of mine called "neighbor beer".
Beer you can give to neighbors who visit without worrying about running out of your favorites.
Ofcourse his idea of "neighbor beer" was Miller Lite so I never asked for a beer when I was visiting.
Craig

I've actually made beers like that on purpose just to prove to my BMC friends that I can indeed make any type of beer that I want. They all know I brew, but with all the Bocks and Brown Ales that I make the only comments I get are: "I'm not drinking that- it looks like motor oil!" Then when I made what they like, they'd saysomething like " this is good! why don't you make this more often?? " Well, duh.....

The Recipe:

"Czech Pilsner Steam"*

1 lb. Munich malt
6 lb. Light liquid malt extract
2/3 oz. Czech saaz hops at 50 min.
2/3 oz. Czech saaz hops at 15 min.
2/3 oz. Czech saaz hops at 5 min.

Wyeast 2112 California Steam yeast

*It was supposed to be a Southern German lager made with Lager yeast, but I didn't like the looks of the tube of White Labs yeast I had on hand, so I used steam beer yeast instead and it worked well.

I would take it as a compliment, you've brewed something inadvertantly near to a style that is very tough to replicate for us homebrewers. And if you like the taste, that's all that matters really.

:rockin:

Pabst Blue Robot said:
I would take it as a compliment, you've brewed something inadvertantly near to a style that is very tough to replicate for us homebrewers. And if you like the taste, that's all that matters really.

:rockin:

Well said!

I know this is an old post, but I have to say, if you made a beer your wife likes and you don't, why would you dump it? Bottle it and keep it for her, even if you wont drink it.

Taste it. If it's too gross to drink then dump it. Pretty simple.

so you found something your wife will drink, and you are going to flush the 'trade-offs' and 'favors' down the swirler?

Latest posts

Back