5.2 mash stabilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysterio

Reaction score
I bought some of this to experiment with. I had been adjusting with phosphoric acid to fiddle with Ph in the past but I'm sure I could taste it in the finished brew.

Has anyone noticed any benefit with this stuff? Is it useable in the sparge water aswell or will it only work in the mash?

Thanks

I've seen an increase in efficiency after using it. I partial mash and batch sparge. I put 2 teaspoons directly in the mash (not the strike water - I mix the water into the grain first), but I don't use any in the sparge water.

Any improvement with it is going to be based on your water chemistry; if your water is already good for the style you're brewing you might not see much improvement as you were already in the right pH range.

Buford said:
I've seen an increase in efficiency after using it. I partial mash and batch sparge. I put 2 teaspoons directly in the mash (not the strike water - I mix the water into the grain first), but I don't use any in the sparge water.

Why do you add it to the mash and not the strike water? Won't it dissolve easier in the strike water?

Some people say they can taste a salty flavor when using it, which makes sense, its a buffering salt. Anything you use to adjust water will lend ions to adjust the pH, but will also change the flavor profile. I use 5.2 and I like it, I use about 1/2 the recommended ammount and I don't really detect any strong flavors from it.

I think it lends an odd flavor. SwAMi and I went through this with his beers. Yes, efficiency goes up, but it isn't worth it IMHO.

Further, it will depend largely on your water profile, but you may not even need the 5.2 anyway. Any AG brewer should know their water profile before they do any more batches. Mine, for example, I can mimic an English IPA pretty well without any treatment, but I can't brew a porter or a stout without manipulating it a bit.

Oh yeah, if you are going to add it (5.2 OR water salts) to your mash, you should always treat your sparge water as well.

No off flavors here, I've even tasted the strike water before mashing in and you can't detect any flavor at all. It's possible that it may react with something during the mash to cause off flavors but I can't detect any in the finished product. I didn't have any issue with efficiency, I gained a few points using it but thats not why I started using it I had problems with hops being harsh, an astringent quality and a little haze issue. It would appear I've vanquished those demons.

Mash is good on it's own. I use it in the sparge if I NEED the efficiency. You can raise the temp of your sparge water in conjunction with salting it to get a few more points.

Buford said:

Any improvement with it is going to be based on your water chemistry; if your water is already good for the style you're brewing you might not see much improvement as you were already in the right pH range.

Must be a House fan? Have you ever seen the Black Adder series on IPTV? Does this guy look familiar? My last name is House our family got a kick out of it, House is kind of a rare name.
four_major.jpg
four_corporal.jpg

Yeah House rocks.

I figured that as the 5.2 stuff is a buffer if you add it to your strike/sparge water then you will be adjusting the pH incorrectly or using up the buffering agent before it can do anything. The water that goes into the mash should be near 7 shouldn't it?

I add it to both strike and sparge water. It holds the correct pH regardless of what the grain might be doing. Zero problems with astringency, good efficiency. If there's a taste, I can't tell and my water is so pure it is almost distilled.

Thanks for the feedback. I have very soft water and sometimes do all base malt recipes so I have to adjust my ph sometimes.

So if you're dosing both the mash and the sparge, do you think it's best to add half a tbsp to each?

mysterio said:
Thanks for the feedback. I have very soft water and sometimes do all base malt recipes so I have to adjust my ph sometimes.

So if you're dosing both the mash and the sparge, do you think it's best to add half a tbsp to each?

I don't think the mash needs anything, but if you must split it up, do 1/4 Tbsp mash and 3/4 Tbsp sparge.

Back