Another stuck fermentation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockmerchant

Reaction score
Hi guys
So… might have a stuck fermentation on my hands. In hindsight I probably didn’t aerate enough, considering the OG.

Had a go at a tripel. This is a half batch (2.5 gallons) with a low (65%) mash efficiency:
3.3kg german pilsner
60g aromatic
30g biscuit

90min mash at 65 C (BIAB)

15g styrian goldings 90 min (7AA)
7g saaz 15min
7g saaz 5 min
200g cane sugar
100g light brown sugar

OG was 1.082

Added 100g more table sugar as fermentation started to slow down
Used Wyeast 1214 with 1.5l starter (over-pitched if anything)

So its been sitting at 1.027 for the past few days. That’s only around 65% apparent attenuation. Raised the temperature to 23 C over the past two days to try and coax some more activity out of em.

I will leave it for another few days and see what happens, but I really want it to finish a lot dryer. I have some Vinters SN9 yeast that I was intending to use for some cider in the near future. Its supposed to be a very neutral yeast. Would it be possible/advisable to pitch this while moving to a secondary to finish the job. As I said I’ll leave it a bit longer to see if it drops at all, but I honestly doubt it will get to 1.020. Was kinda hoping for lower.

Advise please advisors

maybe warm it up further to 25C...right now your sitting at ~7.2%ABV. You should be able to get your final gravity lower with a low mash temp of 65C. Try to swirl up some of the yeast from the bottom without aerating it and move to an even warmer area. Good luck

Thanks. Already swirled it once. might try it again and raise the temp.

And yeah, pretty much thought I did all i could to give the yeasties a good shot. Though as i said, I could have probably aerated a fair bit more before pitching. Oh well.

Back