Pacific Jade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iparks81

Reaction score
have searched with little info found on this Hop variety.

I've been looking to make australian Amber ale recently, but I cant find pride of ringwood hops. I went to my LHBS with this issue and he said the closest he could come to an Aussie hop was Pacific Jade.

has anyone brewed with this hop and if so woudyou us them again, good for bittering or aroma? Ive gotthe Data sheet on them from NZhops.com, but I'd like to see if I can find some first hand experiance.
thanks

I've toyed with the idea of using this, but do not have any first hand experience. I'd check the aussie homebrewer site for firsthand experience. Here is one thread about it:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39939

Here is what my software has to say about it:

The aroma of this hop is described as “bold” as it delivers a herbal infusion of fresh citrus and crushed black pepper. Brewing trials have illustrated Pacific Jade as an excellent hop that delivers a pleasing soft bitterness matched to desirable aroma characteristics.

Suited for use as a bittering hop with some excellent results also being seen in dual purpose applications, with a soft bitterness attributable to the low cohumulone. The citrus aroma and flavour notes work well to temper malt sweetness in “fullish” Ales especially when used moderately as a finishing hop. Pacific Jade is also well suited to balance dryer Lager styles when employed as an “up-front” kettle addition to showcase its bittering qualities

I used some with Centennial in a Wheat IPA recently, as others have said it's got a peppery/spicy aroma and flavor, with some citrus in the back. All I can say is it worked pretty well with the Centennial, and it works as late addition/dry hop.

Back