Vanilla Bourbon Porter - need input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm missing why they think its racist. A picture of a black man? The fact that most porters are dark? Their belief that most blacks prefer high ABV? These are the only ideas I could come up with as to why they think its racist. What I see in the label is, a man of color who by the fact of brewing and elegant cursive script is a proud educated craftsman and artist.

I'm actually wondering your thoughts on it. I don't find it racist but I don't exactly get the connection either. What are your reasons for picking that photo. Everything you do in design should always have a reason.

well personally i thought the connection was bourbon, south, old gentleman enjoying some vanilla bourbon porter. idk maybe i am off but i guess i just thought it kinda fit and made sense to me.

maybe i am seeing something no one else does, wouldn't necessarily surprise me

well personally i thought the connection was bourbon, south, old gentleman enjoying some vanilla bourbon porter. idk maybe i am off but i guess i just thought it kinda fit and made sense to me.

maybe i am seeing something no one else does, wouldn't necessarily surprise me

Yea, that was sorta what I was thinking but wanted to hear if from you. Maybe if the tag line had something in it to reinforce that southern bourbon drinking idea as well?

On the other hand, I could also see where some might find it offensive.

Dude, no way. It's just a black dude. I made the connection right away with old gentlemen in the south drinking bourbon and he's a black guy.

Interesting... I made a different connection. I thought he looked like he'd be an old blues man or something, so the first thing that came to mind for me was Bourbon Street.

I just figured it was you in the picture.

people bring what they want into meanings.
Think of it as art.
You hang it on the wall, they interpret it.

Enjoy your beer. :rockin:

I'm not entirely sure how anyone would misinterpret your label as racist. Anyone who would is looking too hard and "finding it" where it really isn't.

did you even do a test print of the label? does it look alright? looks likes it to dark to come out the way you want it once its printed. do your thing... but personally i dont like it... not sure if its racist... just dont like it.... why not a bottle of bourbon with a vanilla bean in it? why not a big vanilla bean with a bottle of bourbon being dripped over it? why a close up of some random black dude's face? again- do your thing, but do southern gentlemen or old dudes who play blues guitar drink vanilla bean bourbon proter??? my two cents dude, dont take it to personally, we dont even know each other... it sounds delicious and i found an AG recipe online the other day that I intend to brew just ready for the fall......

ps- did you soak the bourbon in oak chips?

Don't find it racist, but I agree the connection isn't clear. If you want the label to have southern associations, what about an image/graphic of a moonshiner w/ still or something? Just something that relates more directly.

Maybe they're thinking of "porter" as in the black guys that used to work as servants on trains. I guess in a stretch that could be vaguely racist if someone was bent on interpreting it as such.

Back