Shine corney kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
So, I've got a couple kegs that are significantly 'dingier' than the others. They've got a lot of oxydation and black scuff marks on them.

I'd like them to be pretty and shiney instead.

Any tips or tricks on making old stainless steel look pretty again?

"Stainless Steel-O" (versus "Brass-O")

How about a green scouring pad attached to a drill for the scuff marks (you can use gasoline outside or some Goop-Off), some rubbing compound followed by elbow grease for the Turtle Wax?:D

Stainless steel wool, as opposed to steel wool. You can also use a foam sanding wheel. Or a drill-mounted cleaning disk used for car wheels.

Try some Barkeepers Friend perhaps?

shinylogo.gif

:ban: Couldn't Resist! :ban:

BKF (Bar Keepers Friend) is the best thing for shining up stainless.

It took some elbow grease but my boil pots looked like this....

BrewpotBefore.jpg

and after a BKF treatment they looked like this.....

Recirc3.jpg

There is a product at auto stores called Mother's Billet Polish (or their aluminum/mag polish) After you use this stuff you will be able to shave in front of that keg.

olllllo said:
I've added Buffing the Corny to this thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11447

BTW: First stickers on your cornies now polishing them.
Are you giving Brewery tours? Some kind of inspection? Mom coming over?

Good one-- buffing the corney.

No inspection but I do take corney to picnics with increasing frequency and, the keg sits in a bucket for the world to see. Having it clean and shiney with a pretty label makes a nicer presentation. Kinda the same way a flip top bottle with a pretty label on it and service in a pint glass presents better than a beat up returnable with a rusty Dr Pepper bottle cap on it served in a plastic cup.

Monster mash--- ooooo--- pretty.

Back