Water Bath Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have a Coleman cooler that can fit three 5 gallon buckets (2 right now) that I use as a water bath to keep temps down. During fermentation to water outside the buckets read around 70. Now that it's stopped bubbling the temp does fluctuate from 64 to 68 on some hot days while I am at work. Will this affect the flavor of the beer? Someone with more experience with a water bath.

It was an Oatmeal Stout that I brewed 14 days ago and plan to rack to a keg next weekend and condition in water bath for another week in keg (1 month total).

Your temperature fluctuation doesn't sound bad, in fact, your temperature control sounds really good. I'm at the cooler side of fermenting this time of year (basement in the Midwest) but my summer temperatures down there run mid sixties which I think is perfect for ales. I wouldn't expect you to have any off flavor issues with those temperatures.

Back