best fresh hop for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoeIPA

Reaction score
getting ready to start laying out my hop garden at the new house.. Whats the best hop to be used fresh? I'm assuming fresh hops are best for dry hopping so i would only assume cascade? I'm open to others, but i'm a big IPA nut and love citra and amarillo. However i know it's impossible to get plants of those due to trademarks.. So whats the next best?

Thanks!

Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Cascade, Summit, Nugget... not sure if any of these are trademarked, but they are all good A-IPA hops.

A lot of it depends on what grows well in your area...grow good hops first, then design a beer around them. Thankfully most stuff grows well in the Chicago area.

Cascade / Centennial / Willamette have all done great for me. Hoping to add Chinook this year. Agreed with Bob's list.

i think i'm going to grow a pair of cascade and centennials.. start out with 4 vines and go from there.

i take it cascade and centennial are the best dry hopping beers? I've never brewed a harvest ale and would like to do one this fall with the hops i grow this summer.. Any input would be appreciated..

I'm sitting on a pound of Citra and wanting to brew an IPA with dry hopping with a fresh wet hop.

i think i'm going to grow a pair of cascade and centennials.. start out with 4 vines and go from there.
Do it. The Centennial looks awesome - a lot more yellow in the cone looks really nice against the green.

Prepare your soil - make sure it's not compacted. It's worth the effort.
Give them tons of sun and something to climb.

i take it cascade and centennial are the best dry hopping beers? I've never brewed a harvest ale and would like to do one this fall with the hops i grow this summer.. Any input would be appreciated..

Best is relative. But solid choices. The others Bob mentioned are also very popular. A little Citra in the kettle w/Cascade & Centennial is a great combo.

Latest posts

Back