Galvanized Steel Pickup Tube - Dangerous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culaslucas

Reaction score
I went to Home Depot to buy something to create a pickup tube so I could get all of the liquid from the bottom of my keggle.

The only fittings they had were Galvanized Steel - will it be safe to heat them up in the keggle? I have looked around here and on Google and cannot seem to come up with a definitive answer.

EDIT: oh ya, another possibly silly question: can I use teflon tape on the inside of my keggles?

Don't use galvanized steel in your wort. High concentrations of Zn can be toxic, and Zn easily dissolves into acidic solutions.

Teflon tape is fine.

But don't you need to heat the Zinc waaaaay above what I'd be boiling my wort at? What about using it just in my water kettle if the acidity of the wort is the problem?

Even if it were safe, it's going to corrode and put rust in your beer. They have brass fittings in any Lowes/Depot and it's much safer. In fact, the best option is copper which is also readily available.

No - it's a chemical reaction, not a thermal one. And it's still a bad idea even in water. No. No. No. Let me reiterate:

NO!

Use copper or stainless instead.

Back