Will the pellicle reform after the beer has been moved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
About 6 months ago, I took 15 gallons of Stix Brewing's Red Ale, racked it into a keg, pitched some Brettanomyces Lambicus WLP653, attached an oak dowell with a stopper and walked away.

It's been sitting in a corner at the brewery ever since. Well, Stix has closed it's doors for good and I needed to get the keg out of there. I loaded it up in the back of my buddy's pickup and brought it to my house. Obviously with all the jostling around of the keg moving it to my condo, the pellicle is no longer intact.

Pulled off a sample and it's tasting really good but, not quite as sour as I'd like yet. If I leave it undisturbed, will the pellicle reform and the beer continue to sour or should I just bottle now and be done with it?

Here are a couple of pics of the keg resting comfortably after it's journey.
brett 002.jpg

brett 003.jpg

It will reform, or it should. Mine did after 800+ miles in a U-haul trailer. ;) You can always add some sugar-water to give the bugs something easy to eat. If you see my Biere de Garde(now Biere de Funk) the pellicle sprung up quickly I think because of O2 and the sugar. My firend Mike's experience: http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2008/04/lambic-phone-home-again.html (You can see in the second pic down). You could check the gravity, but even if its low it is still pretty early to think about bottling. If the pellicle does not reform and you're worried about oxidation and aceto, just put an airlock on and you shouldn't have to worry. Hope this helps. Like I said, mine reformed on their own, and we're older, they just broke into pieces that floated on the surface, and eventually the holes filled in. Less bubbles, but the bugs are slowing down obviously.
edit> What happened to Stix?

I agree, and 6 months and the indication of not having reached your sourness level should mean you don't have to muck with it.

Glad you chimed in land, and thanks for the tips.

I may have to move it one more time in the next couple of months since right now it's sitting in the entry hall. I have no way to visually inspect the pellicle without pulling the dowell out since it's in this keg. I figure I'll leave it as is until I move it down to the brewery in a couple months.

Originally posted by landhoney
What happened to Stix?

Poor location for a brewery, extremely high rent, they just couldn't make a go of it. On the bright side, I bought all their hops and will probably end up buying alot of the fixtures. Head Brewer Tom Muoz is now brewing at Silver City in Silverdale.

Back