Med grade O2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traughber

Reaction score
Looked into getting some medical grade O2 for aeration. All the gas stores in my area told me it was a no go, unless I have a prescription. I know that the non med grade tanks aren't vacuumed. So how are you guys that use O2 for aeration getting it. Just to add, I'm in TX.

You don't need medical grade. Most Home Depots or Lowes carry small O2 tanks that work just fine.

It all comes from the same place, I scuba dive and mix my own gas. I've been breathing the welding gas for years. If a tank was contaminated the plant would shut down, messing with O2 is no joke.

mikescooling said:
It all comes from the same place, I scuba dive and mix my own gas. I've been breathing the welding gas for years. If a tank was contaminated the plant would shut down, messing with O2 is no joke.

I was told at the gas shop the difference between med and weld gas was vacuuming of the tank. I guess if I have my own tank I'll know it's clean. May just do the Home Depot thing.

Looked into getting some medical grade O2 for aeration. All the gas stores in my area told me it was a no go, unless I have a prescription. I know that the non med grade tanks aren't vacuumed. So how are you guys that use O2 for aeration getting it. Just to add, I'm in TX.

I use a HEPA filter on my tubing just prior to the aerator.

Picked up a new one last afternoon at Austin home brew supply

And Im using one of my welding O2 tanks and regulators....

You don't need medical grade. Most Home Depots or Lowes carry small O2 tanks that work just fine.

At $10 per bottle and 29 for the regulator...

Unless your only doing a few batches.... To me it makes more sense to find a used welding tank regulator and and small 80 cf or so tank....

Easy for me to say I guess since I have a few welding O2 tanks at the house all the time... But still.. $10 for $.60 of O2 just sucks.

E_Marquez said:
I use a HEPA filter on my tubing just prior to the aerator.

Picked up a new one last afternoon at Austin home brew supply

And Im using one of my welding O2 tanks and regulators....

Seems like the more simple route. I ordered a couple of the hepa filters this morning. Going to head to the welding shop to pick up O2 and reg this weekend, thanks.

To be honest, I don't know for sure. But I have been using it for about 9 months and have maybe used 3 cylinders...... I brew a lot, so that is probably 8-12 batches per cylinder @ 1 minute of O2 per batch. I have not kept very good track - but I know it is definitely more than 8. Could even be 12+.

To be honest, I don't know for sure. But I have been using it for about 9 months and have maybe used 3 cylinders...... I brew a lot, so that is probably 8-12 batches per cylinder @ 1 minute of O2 per batch. I have not kept very good track - but I know it is definitely more than 8. Could even be 12+.

My experience is similar, probably ~10 batches with 30-45 second hits.

Wound up with a super O2 score. My mother-in-law used to be on CPAP for sleep apnea and she had an oxygen concentrator in her garage she was no longer using and let me have it. Now I have unlimited O2 at the flick of a switch with no tanks to refill! Woohoo!!

I am brewing a Barley Wine and am looking at Oxygen. I weld so I have Oxy and the Regular ready to go. Picked up filter and stainless diffuser. My plan is to set my Oxy regular to 2 Lbs, slid the hose over the welding torch tip, put sanitized hose a diffuser into wort and start the Oxy.
Question, Will this work??????

I use mine exactly like this one below. Do you guys somehow hookup a regulator to these small tanks? Or is that unnecessary? I've just been turning it on and timing it...

S78.JPG

I use mine exactly like this one below. Do you guys somehow hookup a regulator to these small tanks? Or is that unnecessary? I've just been turning it on and timing it...

S78.JPG

I use that system as well. I just turn in on and time it. I try to be consistent but plus on minus a second or two is probably fine.

Latest posts

Back