Rogue IT manager ad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird...

I for one would not accept an IT job that has that much responsibility for $50k...

Not sure who they think they are but generally employees are mercenaries and you get what you pay for.

Who the fook would take that job?! At least they are honest in what they're looking for.

There is no f'n way, lol. I like the ad and I like the attitude but you get what you pay for and unless they want some kid with Google skills and a willingness to risk their network on the first hit that "sounds legit" they are way low balling.

That's a very unprofessional posting for any position any company might be hiring for. Smarmy would be a good word to use. The problem is not the posting but the person who wrote it. Maybe just a portal to "what this world is coming to." What a shame.

Considering how they treat warehouse and packaging employees, it's no surprise. Another good reason to never buy Rogue beer, if the beer itself and the companies union busting weren't enough.

that's pretty bad. I work for and IT research and advisement firm and I think some of our analysts would get a kick out of the posting.

Their IT maturity looks to be a zero...

That also says a ton about their business. I would be horrified if I was an investor.

TNGabe said:
Considering how they treat warehouse and packaging employees, it's no surprise. Another good reason to never buy Rogue beer, if the beer itself and the companies union busting weren't enough.

I like their beer. Mostly because that's the only brew I can get from the Pacific Northwest. Didn't know about them treating employees like crap though. If you're homebrewing It can be all about the beer but there are certain standards you need to keep up for a business. I'm sure Rogue doesn't believe it but your employees really are your greatest asset.

I worked for Rogue, they're actually one of the best companies out there... IF you have a backbone. Are you willing to laugh at the owner and say "F**k you, Jack"? If you have the guts to do so, he will love you and you can do no wrong. If my life circumstances were such that I could be living in Newport, I would go back to work for them in a heartbeat.

The first problem I see with this ad is several things. No HR? For 11 pubs, plus all the production and sales people, plus their 2 farms? Must be closing in on 300 people. How many laws are they violating that they are just not aware of? HR people are there to keep you from getting sued, and to allow other staff to focus on their jobs.

Secondly, the problem with being the only IT guy for places that are open until 1am is the fact that you are always on call. Don't plan on making plans for the rest of your career.

Thirdly, IT guys are rarely the guys you want sending out e-blasts. Isn't that what a marketing/sales dept is for.

What if you act totally professional, show up in a suit and tie, and use every single one of their banned words?

Rogue is more about brand image than making good beer. EVERYTHING Rogue does is designed to build this image. Hell, even their General Counsel is the "Attorney General of Rogue Nation," like Rogue is its own sovereign nation or something. Most of the crap in the help wanted ad is written the way it is to reflect how Rogue wants to portray itself. Rogue sells an image along with its overpriced mediocre craft beer.

As ridiculous as it is, I think it's a hilarious posting. I think it cuts through the bs. Doesn't sound like they're looking for a seasoned professional here. Probably just want some high motor new grad (or maybe not even) with some tech skills who would think it cool to work at/with a brewery to learn and grow on the job.

Wildly far from my reality now, but not so much if I was 23.

I wish I lived near there, sounds like my kind of place. I'm so freaking tired of the drama queen, thin skinned, can't take a joke ******** that the modern day "professional" workplaces seem to be so hung up on. I understand being respectful, but some people get so bent out of shape about the littlest things these days.

I wish I lived near there, sounds like my kind of place. I'm so freaking tired of the drama queen, thin skinned, can't take a joke ******** that the modern day "professional" workplaces seem to be so hung up on. I understand being respectful, but some people get so bent out of shape about the littlest things these days.

Maybe Rogue just found their new IT guy? ;)

Tone aside (which is awful) they're off their rocker if they expect to find a competent, experienced person to run their whole IT department for less than $40k. I wouldn't touch that position for less than 90.

Tone aside (which is awful) they're off their rocker if they expect to find a competent, experienced person to run their whole IT department for less than $40k. I wouldn't touch that position for less than 90.

Just an aside, but we should keep in mind the standard of living of each area. I don't know what the SOL is up where Rogue is, but I'm pretty sure that 50,000 where I live would be as comfortable as a 90,000 in Sacramento, CA. Even still...in any place, less than 50,000 is absurd!!

Anyone that applies would be best to accept their base salary but nail down an awesome call-out rate, since they have no HR and apparently sound like no idea of what it takes the "decision maker" might just think they are getting an awesome deal when you take $40k but any call outs are triple time + call out fee. Or since you run the show just get a contractor on board to handle the call-outs/extra work - since it is not a salary/wage I'm sure they would not realise for a while :D

I'm not qualified: I don't meet their dress code. I will not, repeat, WILL NOT grow a moustache or a beard (I just shaved off my weeks' worth of growth ten minutes ago, and it looked worse than a 13-year-old white kid, or a 9-year-old Puerto Rican), and I wear baggy clothes.

I'm not qualified: I don't meet their dress code. I will not, repeat, WILL NOT grow a moustache or a beard (I just shaved off my weeks' worth of growth ten minutes ago, and it looked worse than a 13-year-old white kid, or a 9-year-old Puerto Rican), and I wear baggy clothes.

You sound rebellious- your hire :D

Sounds like they overworked some poor bastard to the point of quitting and they're looking to replace him with someone at what they were paying him. They'll end up with someone who has no idea what they're doing. Someone with the skills to pull off what they require is going to laugh their ass off at the salary.

If they really will demand all that work for less than $50k they will get what they deserve. Not much. Given the tone of that add I wouldn't take the job, if I had the skills, without a $100k signing bonus and a quit at anytime contract as I wouldn't last more that a month if they really required all that BS.

If you could walk on water they'd ask you why you couldn't swim.

I wonder how much they are pocketing for this 'revolution' if they're expected a single person to manage all of the IT problems for an entire network of pubs/brew facilities and expects them to meet all those demands at one time for less than what I think an IT professional is getting paid as part of a team of many.

Maybe this is a fake ad put up by Stone. :p

If you could walk on water they'd ask you why you couldn't swim.

I wonder how much they are pocketing for this 'revolution' if they're expected a single person to manage all of the IT problems for an entire network of pubs/brew facilities and expects them to meet all those demands at one time for less than what I think an IT professional is getting paid as part of a team of many.

Maybe this is a fake ad put up by Stone. :p

It is on the Rogue job list, aparently the a reelling against the english language as well!
Rogue said:
IT Manager Portland
Skils: PC troubleshooting, database management, software configuration

Wow, thats a lot of blather that tells you more about the company and the position than they probably want you to know.

No responsible person who will actually be able to respond to a midnight POS polling error will actually take that job. Those people want stability and reasonable compensation to support their lifestyle/family.

Their pricing will get them no better than an unattached 20-something who is more interested in a frat-house atmosphere with free beer at work than the work and will be too drunk to actually do anything when called at midnight.

Rouge keeps saying that their a revolution, not a business. It sounds to me like they truly are like most revolutions in history, with the "leaders" skimming off all they can while throwing peanuts and platitudes at the proletariat.

No thanks, Ill take a real job. My wife and child enjoy the stability that comes from a regular paycheck that covers more than just a mortgage.

Rouge keeps saying that their a revolution, not a business. It sounds to me like they truly are like most revolutions in history, with the "leaders" skimming off all they can while throwing peanuts and platitudes at the proletariat.

Eviscerate the beerletariat!

Back