Lalvin Narbonne 71B-1122?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFlint

Reaction score
Any experience with this wine yeast for cider fermentations? From what I've read this yeast incourages malo-lactic fermentation and produces fruity aromas--possible pros in cider, but I'm not sure I want to use it on 5 gal. of cider without any reassurance. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this yeast and was willing to comment on how it might perform in a cider.

Never done a cider but it's a great mead yeast.

It leaves some residual sweetness and fruitiness.

Fwiw I'm trying this right now. Only been fermenting for 3 days so it's too early to tell, but the LHBS said that it should end up being less dry and more fruity.

I was gunning for more sweet and less dry in a cider (Ed Worts recipe cut in 1/2)

Did you try this? How were your results?

Any experience with this wine yeast for cider fermentations? From what I've read this yeast incourages malo-lactic fermentation and produces fruity aromas--possible pros in cider, but I'm not sure I want to use it on 5 gal. of cider without any reassurance. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this yeast and was willing to comment on how it might perform in a cider.

I will also say a great mead yeast, cant say about cider but only one way to find out!

I've used Lalvin 71B. It makes a nice cider but very dry. A little drier than what I like but well balanced and doesnt need as much time to mellow after the ferment as most wine yeasts.

Back