I grew a beard...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped shaving for November, and my first batch was brewed on Nov 17th. Coincidence? I think not.

this is the best kind of beard for brewing, this is the beard of ledgends.

thCAC7ZU1M.jpg

I grew one out for November and the SWMBO has fallen in love with it. I have brewed a considerable amount of been in November non is ready quite yet but I feel they will all be brews.

On another note we toured New Belgium and O'dell a couple weeks ago and that was by far one of the highest concentrations of awesome facial I've ever been in the presence off. Both employees and patrons.

The money you save in razors can be spent on grain. My face eats razorblades. In the army I was FORCED to shave x2 a day or me gas mask would not seal. It was not until years later I realized that the employers that had rules for facial hair were either a) the food industry or b)made by some fool with a lack of testosterone to grow a decent one. Mostly the later...

Not sure if growing a beard will help your brewing prowess, but I have heard that brewers that grow beards have been seen doing strange things... showering with a carboy, sporting carboy brush underwear and hiding their home-brewing catalogs under the bed mattress.
:)
Redbeard5289

Redbeard5289 said:
Not sure if growing a beard will help your brewing prowess, but I have heard that brewers that grow beards have been seen doing strange things... showering with a carboy, sporting carboy brush underwear and hiding their home-brewing catalogs under the bed mattress.
:)
Redbeard5289

It is all a result of childhood upbringing and progression. I now have hair growing everywhere, my carboy replaces my Star Wars figures, my bottle brush mankini replaces my underoos, and I still have playboy under the mattress. Only thing is that a NB catalog is nestled inside where Miss November is waiting. Sounds as though you suffer from this affliction too. It's OK, come out. Join us. My beer has never tasted better since growing a beard and showering with my carboy. Intimacy is key to a happy carboy. I would like to petition that we call them cargirls.

image-3106075977.jpg

Enough chit chat boys! Lets see those winter coats! This one is almost 4 months old now...

No, I don't know why it is sideways...can't seem to correct it...

Enough chit chat boys! Lets see those winter coats! This one is almost 4 months old now...

No, I don't know why it is sideways...can't seem to correct it...

Very nice. I'm a ginger myself.

Unfortunately I can't ever realize my full beard potential because I am an exec at a bank. Even my neatly trimmed beard gets some disapproving looks.

But - When I retire in a few years - watch out. I'm going full ZZ-Top.

Does just growing a moustache count? I grew one for charity and when I brewed I got my best efficiency to date. I'm now going to grow a beard :)

Very nice. I'm a ginger myself.

Unfortunately I can't ever realize my full beard potential because I am an exec at a bank. Even my neatly trimmed beard gets some disapproving looks.

But - When I retire in a few years - watch out. I'm going full ZZ-Top.

I say you grow it all the way out, dress like a viking. and yell at anyone who gives you "a look", "What's in your wallet?!?"

I hope you aren't truly hurt. I was joking. Its one of my friends who is a ginger's favorite things to say.

Its a southpark reference to redheads.

Technically a daywalker is a redhead who can go out in the sun. Most of us pretty much burst into flames upon contact with sunlight. So a redhead in the sun is an anomoly. It a slightly veiled vampire reference. It's actually pretty funny.

I guess that makes me a daywalker. Don't get me wrong, I burn like the rest of them, but if I keep at it I can actually get a descent tan. And I have a beard. Been sporting it for a little over a year now. I've been thinking about taking the next step and moving my trimmer back a notch.

b-boy said:
Technically a daywalker is a redhead who can go out in the sun. Most of us pretty much burst into flames upon contact with sunlight. So a redhead in the sun is an anomoly. It a slightly veiled vampire reference. It's actually pretty funny.

Then yes, I am a daywalker. I can tan but choose not to to hopefully not die a horrible death.

Enough of this though! More beards!

I had a beard when I started brewing. Things went well. Then in may I shaved it down to a goatee. The beer I made that month was my worst yet. I have not shave since June. This pic is from 10/29/12

ForumRunner_20121209_164049.png

alane1 said:
That is a very impressive mane, you must make a killer IPA.

I have actually only made a session style black IPA, but it was awesome. My most popular beer among my other craft beer lovers. That was made before I shaved. Now that the beard is long again, it's time to make that black IPA again. Power of the beard should not be underestimated.

"Whoa check out that really manly, clean shaven guy"
- Said no woman, ever

Having said that, it's worth remembering that it's the beard on the inside that really matters.

When I tried growing a beard, it had some bald patches, itched and had a very non-uniform color. Does a mohawk help with brewing at all?

Im culturing pacman and conan in my beard.. I thought i was the only one.

I wanted to add that this is only half a joke.. If you now drink from a juice container after having a beer you will find that it ferments.. im not joking

Awesome!

Well I have the short stubble beard. Its not that I cant grow one, but if mine grows too long I start looking like someone the pedobear will come after. Not to mention that I have to be presentable for work.

It does help though.

When I tried growing a beard, it had some bald patches, itched and had a very non-uniform color. Does a mohawk help with brewing at all?

I am having my daughter help me shave my hair into a mohawk this week, will report back with results. Keeping the goatee either way and if the hawk doesn't help I just shave it back to bald again, been letting the mop grow a bit and feel like a hippy right now.

Been brewing since 2002, grew my goatee in 2008. Every beer I've made since whiskering up--even the occasional failure--has been markedly better than those than I made clean-shaven.

-Rich

I almost always have a beard but a fairly short one. Tonyc's made me kind of jealous to be honest. Here is my no more trimming until February commitment. Signed in beardship...

sonofgrok said:
I almost always have a beard but a fairly short one. Tonyc's made me kind of jealous to be honest. Here is my no more trimming until February commitment. Signed in beardship...

Right on man! Get your beard on.

This is from last spring. The hair on top of my head is a bit shorter now, but the beard is about the same.

I was aerating the wort (i.e. shaking the **** out of it). :rockin:

419636_3368697382976_998275578_n.jpg

OK this isn't my beard (I am one of those unfortunates who can't really grow one...pity me), but my buddy just posted a beard update and I couldn't not post it here, it's so beautiful.

532009_10151356787435225_1508603201_n.jpg

Now tell me: is there any good excuse for why this guy isn't a homebrewer? I think not.

I started growing this wonderfulness in August! One month later I began brewing! Coincidence? I think not!

ForumRunner_20121212_094953.png

Back